AdWords
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Import custom dimension from Universal Analytics?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

in Universal Analytics, it is possible to create custom dimensions (https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2709828). Assumed that I have a custom dimension called "margin" and I want to see the margin in Google AdWords (instead of revenue).

• Can I import this custom dimension to the AdWords MCC aditionally to the current "Conv. Value"? (That is, see 2 columns in my AdWords MCC, Conv. Value 1/ Conv. Value 2.)
  • Can I import the custom dimension "margin" to see it in the column Conv. Value? (That is, only be able to see the margin in my MCC, the revenue will only be seen in Universal Analytics.)

At the moment, I can't figure out how to implement any of these 2 solutions. If it shouldn't be possible, is there any other solution to import both revenue and margin/ custom dimensions from Analytics to AdWords?

Thanks,

Andreas

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Import custom dimension from Universal Analytics?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello, Andreas.

It depends on how you've set up conversions in Google AdWords. You cannot go into the AdWords interface and see a Custom Dimension there, nor can you tell AdWords that the conversion value is what gets pushed into that Custom Dimension.

Apart from that, if you import Analytics conversions into AdWords, there's not much you can do.

If you don't, however, all you have to do is to place an AdWords conversion script on the conversion page and feed the same conversion value to AdWords as the one you push into the Custom dimension.

Then there's also the option of importing offline conversions, but I doubt this is what you look for.

In a nutshell, "mapping" the custom dimension "Margin" on the AdWords conversion value is (currently) not possible.

Hope it helps.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Re: Import custom dimension from Universal Analytics?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
> If you don't, however, all you have to do is to place an AdWords conversion script on the conversion page and feed the same conversion value to AdWords as the one you push into the Custom dimension.

Unfortunately, this is not a practicable solution in my case, because returns shall be maintained in Analytics and of course, I want to see the returns in AdWords and be able to use the return-adjusted conversion values for bid management. (As far as I know it is not possible to maintain returns in Google Conversion Tracking.)

As far as I see, the only solution would be to change the Analytics tracking code:
- pass the margin value to the standard revenue field in analytics (and connect it to AdWords)
- create a custom dimension for the revenue.

I really don't like this solution... I'm still hoping that someone comes up with a better one.