AdWords
6.2K members online now
6.2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Identifying AdWords Leads

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey there,

we have AdWords conversion tracking setup on our lead generation website. The leads are emailed to us via email and manually entered into our CRM system at this stage. At the moment we cannot differentiate if an individual lead was generated by our AdWords campaigns or by other digital marketing channels.

Does any of you have experience in setting this up? All we need is a small remark in the email message that allows us to identify the channel.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Jochen

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Identifying AdWords Leads

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

Although I am not a tech savvy, but I think one way of identifying this could be, if you have dedicated landing pages running for your PPC campaigns, you could add one additional field in your database (let's say source as PPC landing Page) and store it separately compared to regular leads getting tracked. Doing this would help you see in your admin section, which all leads came via AdWords.

Also if you have access to web server logs, you will see all hits from AdWords with some links like ?gclid=xya123 etc...That might help identify all hits and the programmer might assign it with the lead source as well. Also, I think for different CRMs, you do get an option to track the lead source and programmatically, that can be taken care of.

My Thoughts!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jochen S
November 2015

Re: Identifying AdWords Leads

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Jochen,

You only get one chance to capture the AdWords click data, when the visitor first hits your site. If you have auto-tagging turned on, look for the gclid value in the query string. If you are using manual tagging, look for the value in the query string. Manual tagging will give you more data about the click.

Now, set a local cookie that carries the name/value pairs in the query string you want to track. When the email is sent, include the data from the cookie, then enter that data into your CRM.

You can tag your links from other marketing channels in much the same way, if you're using manual tagging, and capture source data for all you marketing channels this way.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords