AdWords
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

I'm getting contradicting data from Keyword Tool and Google Trends. Which one is correct?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

I've been checking the number of searches in Italy for the terms "Turtle Beach" and "X-mini". The AdWords Keyword tool showed that local seaches for "X-mini" were 14800 versus 9900 for "Turtle Beach". But when I checked the same search terms with Google Trends, it shows "Turtle Beach" outweighing "X-mini" 11 to 1.

There's obviously a contradiction in the data. What's going on?

Many thanks Smiley Happy

Fran

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: I'm getting contradicting data from Keyword Tool and Google Trends. Which one is correct?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Fran;

The "raw data" comes from Google's same data base. On Google tends it is normalized;

The keyword tool shows the last 12 months average data. Did you check the same period on Google trend?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: I'm getting contradicting data from Keyword Tool and Google Trends. Which one is correct?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your reply!

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=x-mini%2C%20turtle%20beach&geo=IT&cmpt=q

On Google Trends I looked at results ranging 2004 - 2013 with the filter for 'Italy'. The data was vastly different: whereas the keyword tool showed a 50% greater search result for "X-mini" (14800 vs 9900), Google Trends showed an average ratio of 11:1 in favour of "Turtle Beach". The "X-mini" graph line was so flat it never once overtook the other.

I really can't wrap my head around it, is it a genuine error or am I reading it wrong? Thank you in advance for any insight you can offer.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

The data on the keyword tool is only 12 months back !! (Jan 2012 to Jan 2013)!!

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yup, that's quite clear. However, even if I look at data for the last 12 months, Google Trends shows "Turtle Beach" as being a vastly more popular search term than "X-mini" whereas the keywords tool indicates the opposite. Hope my puzzlement makes sense.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author frannyholder
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Nope;

Keep in mind that the keyword tool includes also synonyms for that keyword while "trend" shows only data for the specific search term. (Check the keyword tool for "exact match" ...)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Exact match data from keywords fits in a lot better with the results from Google Trends. Many thanks for solving that puzzle! Smiley Happy

Re: I'm getting contradicting data from Keyword Tool and Google Trends

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi! I'm facing the same issue on Keyword Planner and Google trends. However, when I use exact match for Keyword Planner, the same contradiction still occurs. Any idea why that is the case?