AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

I lost all the historical data

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I changed the type of keyword from broad to phrase and I lost all the historical data on what the earlier broad phrase had How do I get that historical data back?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author johnbogs
September 2015

Re: I lost all the historical data

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Just made a test :

1) I changed the match type for a low performing keyword with very few clicks, after a refresh of the page and selection of seeing "all keywords" (including deleted ones) I could see the statistics of the deleted keyword.

2) I added the "deleted" keyword in exactly its deleted match type and refreshed the page. The statistics are "revived".

Just to make sure I tried with another keyword another match type and it is the same outcome. Simply adding the deleted keyword changes its status from "deleted" to "active" bringing back the statistics also.

The undo is there Moshe, try it for yourself.

[Later edit] The only problem I could see is the lost MaxCPC value but the clicks , impressions and conversions are in their place.

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

The data is not lost, you can see it if you activate the view for all keywords including deleted ones.

I wonder what happens if you switch the match type back to simple broad, does it inherit the deleted statistics or not. I think you can give it a try and see. The worst case scenario is that it will show the simple broad twice in the list, once as deleted with a history of impressions and the second time as new with no history.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@Adrain;
Any change resets the data. There is no "undo", 

Edited : However, you can still see the historical  data of a deleted keyword

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Oh, ok, thank you for the quick intervention.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author johnbogs
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Just made a test :

1) I changed the match type for a low performing keyword with very few clicks, after a refresh of the page and selection of seeing "all keywords" (including deleted ones) I could see the statistics of the deleted keyword.

2) I added the "deleted" keyword in exactly its deleted match type and refreshed the page. The statistics are "revived".

Just to make sure I tried with another keyword another match type and it is the same outcome. Simply adding the deleted keyword changes its status from "deleted" to "active" bringing back the statistics also.

The undo is there Moshe, try it for yourself.

[Later edit] The only problem I could see is the lost MaxCPC value but the clicks , impressions and conversions are in their place.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Adrian ;

1. statistics of a deleted keyword is still there. I said that the data  is rest. I did not say historical statistics is gone! Smiley Mad
  2. I know - we have seen cases like that -  that could be a kind of  a beta (Google is running) in which keywords being "mistakenly" deleted or  edited do not lose the data, if  it is restored  "fast" to its original "condition". (And there is probably a variation if  KW was deleted or edited).  However; since there is no reference to this in the documentation -  I did not mention it / bring it up, since that could be misleading and be misquoted by others (This community crawled frequently by the bots).

You should keep in mind, that Adwords is much more  complicated system then just "simple testing"....There are undisclosed featured, and there are features that are "instantly gone" without a notice ...Smiley Surprised  When advising users, you should adhere  to the  documentation or have a "solid supported data / know-how" before posting an answer.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I get it now , writing solutions comes with a wider range of responsibilities Smiley Happy.

You have a better overall perspective which helps understand more how stuff works. This is a quite common situation , I hope that google adds a help page about an undo instruction in the future.