AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

I'd like to use Google Analytics to track traffic from all sources.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I know I can use utm codes for source, medium, campaign and keyword, but I need adgroup as well. 

Has anyone solved this?  I can see the Google adgroups, but don't see how to pass through Bing's.

Thanks!

Phil

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: I'd like to use Google Analytics to track traffic from all sources

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Phil, I presume you have a reason for using the utm_ variables rather than Auto-Tagging with AdWords?  Auto-tagging is really the best option with AdWords unless there's a strong reason not to use it - there's a lot more information passed to Analytics than is possible by manual tagging.

For Bing you should just use the utm_ variables as you've suggested, for example a Destination URL would look something like:

h ttp://www.abc.com/page.php?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=MyBingCampaign

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Yes, Jon, I want to keep Adwords set up with auto tagging, but want the same level of access (adgroup, in particular; I know how to do campaign, kwd, etc.) for Bing.

For an added level of complexity, the landing page needs to gather this information into the client's database, so we can track all the offline connections that need to happen to turn a conversion into a customer. I'll have to put codes, like campaign={whatever} on the landing pages from Google, and would need both those and the parallel utm_campaign={whatever} to get to the database from Bing.

Do you see an easier way?

Thanks!

Phil

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Phil, to the best of my knowledge there's no manual tag recognised by Analytics for Ad Group - that only comes with Auto-Tagging (I've no idea why).

However, you can of course put whatever variables you want onto your Destination URLs and then recover that data another way.  For example, if you added ad_group=MyAdGroup to the string you could either capture that (along with the other vars) directly by script on the web page and punt it into your db, or you could use filters etc. in Analytics to view data on pages containing that ad_group string.

Does this help?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits