AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Huge discrepancy btween the keyword tool and the keyword planner

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I did a search on the term training video in both the planner and the keyword tool.

keyword tool had "5700" local searches and the planner had "10"

Im getting 10's and 20's and 30's for lots of results that would of been in the thousands before.

I have local region selected for both.

Which one do i go with?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Huge discrepancy btween the keyword tool and the keyword planner

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Jordan,

This happens mainly because the old tool shows simple broad match traffic estimates while the new tool shows exact match estimates.

Try the "Review estimates" button in the keyword planner in order to input all the match types for your keyword.

To access this info follow these steps 

1) enter in the keyword planner your keyword and click on the two arrows pointing right, this activates very low on the page the "review estimates button"

click-for-review-estimates.png

hidden-review-estimates.png

2) Enter a high bid and daily budget or just drag the vertical cursor a lot to the right

drag-cursor-to-the-right.png

3 ) Click on the keywords tab, select the ad group, enter the phrase , the simple broad match and the exact match and watch the traffic estimates for all three. Nice right ?

results-for-simple-broad.png

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello Jordan;
I would add to Adrian's answer, that when launching the new keyword planner, Google revised the search data and narrowed it to more specific Geo targeting areas - fora better accuracy.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
HI Adrian, I've had the same issue as Jordan. I tried what you said, but no luck so far. And its not showing search volume, its showing "impressions".