AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How you track search term with a third party software ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

i read only that google does not pass the search term to third party software and i am wondering if any one knows how

i am using {keyword} but that does not help

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Carlos,

Google does not offer the option to add search terms as parameters to urls like you would with {keyword}, but they do let third-party software tools access search terms via the API.

Here is the API documentation: https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/docs/appendix/reports/search-query-performance-report

I hope that helps!

John

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

For AdWords / Paid clicks, or organic query data?

Tom

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey

There used to be a really simple way of doing with in document.referrer or via __utmz cookie but alas Smiley Sad. Now there is a way to make this work but its rather complicated. 

1. On each landing page a JS code looks for gclid and stores value in an custom dimension.

2. Same GCLID is also stored in your 3rd party system

3. Your system makes API call to GA querying for each gclid and corresponding KW and search term.

4. You match GCLIDs in 3rd party system with queried data and populate search term column.

Hope that makes sense.

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog