AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How to use UTM parameters and auto-tagging

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We're using Auto-Tagging for our Adwords campaign but also need to use UTM parameters in the URL as these are required by a third-party tracking system.

I read somewhere that if Google Analytics detects both the gclid parameter and UTM parameters, the latter will be ignored. Please can you confirm this as I don't want to get duplicate data within Google Analytics.

Finally, can you confirm where I should add my UTM parameters. I originally tried the tracking template with {lpurl}?utm_source=xxx but when I clicked test the final URL did not include my parameters so I ended up just adding them directly to my ad's URL.

Ideally I'd like to generate the UTM parameters automatically and pass the search term as the utm_content parameter. Is this possible?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to use UTM parameters and auto-tagging

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Ben,

Basically it is suggested to use single method i.e. either auto tagging or manual tagging. Reason being that both are different ways of tracking and might conflict while providing the stats to you. So discrepancy might occur if both are used together. That's what I understand.

If you are setting up tracking parameters, you need to use value track parameters to accomplish that. Also AdWords recommend setting up tracking parameters at the campaign level. Find more details here:- https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375447?hl=en

Pankaj

Re: How to use UTM parameters and auto-tagging

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hello Ben,

As pankaj already told, Use one of tracking method either auto tagging or manual tagging. I want say one more thing that to avoid duplicate data in analytic, You can use URL builder and tag landing page using UTM_parameter as you want according to content and campaign.

See this link for Generate manual tagging using UTM parameter

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033867

Mohit