AdWords
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How to use Tracking template for URLs that already use parameters in the final URL

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

How should I implement an account level tracking template for an account where the final URL's already contain url parameters that are being used to send visitors to search results page that are pre-filtered.

Here is an example final URL - http://www.freedompowersportsusa.com/--xallinventory?sq=mule&make=kawasaki&location=fort%20worth%20t...

Here is what I'm planning to add as my account level tracking template:

{lpurl}&device={device}&keyword={keyword}

Is this the correct implementation which keeps my original url paremeters in place and adds the new ones so the visitor ultimately goes to this url:

http://www.freedompowersportsusa.com/--xallinventory?sq=mule&make=kawasaki&location=fort%20worth%20t...}

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author jamesscaggs
August 2016

Re: How to use Tracking template for URLs that already use parameters in the final URL

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi James,

Great question. The example you gave is the correct way to implement this. Google will replace the variable {lpurl} with your ad's entire final URL, including the parameters, and will then add the additional parameters you've added to the tracking template.

When you add the tracking template to your account you'll see an option to test it and you can click the link to confirm that it works properly.

I hope that helps!

John

Re: How to use Tracking template for URLs that already use parameters in the final URL

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi James,

Your implementation is correct, with the help of this you can even see keyword level data in analytics also.

Regards,
Manish