AdWords
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How to track what conversions come from AdWords

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

As we get enquiries from varying sources, I am wanting to find a way to accurately track which conversions come through AdWords so I can track ROI properly. Is there any advice out there? We are looking into CRM systems but I'm curious if there's any other solution?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to track what conversions come from AdWords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @James P AdWords has a number of conversion tracking capabilities, what sort of business are you promoting?  Do you have online sales, sales from phone calls, form submissions, walk ins, emails, etc?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jon, thanks for your quick response. I should have clarified. We are leading people with AdWords to our pages that contain contact forms. The idea is for them to submit said contact form. The issue being that we can't tell whether a form submitted is from AdWords or Organic if for instance, they are submitted at the same time. Of course we have tracking set up to record when a form is submitted via Adwords but on our end, we can't tell which form that is when it comes through as an enquiry if that makes sense?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @James P

I am guessing you are storing these leads in a CRM. 

If you just want to know which leads came from adwords it should be pretty easy. 

If you are using auto tagging with GA.

1. A JavaScript looks for query string GCLID and stores value of this query string in session storage/ cookie. 

2. When form is submitted a hidden field called source is present in form and if GCLID value is present in cookie / session this hidden field is populated with value "Adwords" and in turn this field is stored in your CRM.

If you want to track this at campaign / adgroup/ keyword level that is also possible but process is a little complex.

Hope this helps

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the response, Nik.

Ideally we will be able to do this easily with a CRM when we get one, but until then I am at a loss unfortunately.