AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How to track website call conversions from google shopping ads.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are currently implementing call tracking by following the guide "Track calls to a phone number on a website" https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6095883

We are e-commerce, but due to our product type, 50% of orders come in by phone.

The issue is 90% of our AdWords spend goes on google shopping (again as we are e-commerce), we NEED the ability to track phone calls from PLA/Shopping in the same way that we can with search ads. Does anybody know a way to get website call tracking working for PLA / shopping? Either by a default feature or by a 3rd party app?

Many Thanks!

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi James 

This is very interesting. Although I have never done this before but logically this should work for text ads as well as shopping ads. Format of ad should not affect this conversion logic (other than App Installs ads I think). But I will also try running a small test and post results here.

Also there are many 3rd party apps are available for this kind of tracking I cant recommend name in public forum.

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Just to confirm, 

I want the google onsite phone forwarding number to show when you click through as a first time visitor through a PLA/shopping  link advert. 

It seems crazy that there is no way to track this properly if it does not work (which seems to be the case)

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi James,

I believe logically click on shopping ad should work the same way like click on text ad, by showing Google forwarding number on your website. 

But still I will run an experiment and confirm. Have you tried this already? if yes please share your URL

Regards, Nik

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, have installed on our account but no luck!

the number changes for text adverts, but not shopping/PLA (that we can tell) I have tested on a couple of machines and seen no change in the number. 

link: https://goo.gl/5h0Bxd

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

Can you please follow this procedure to test and post results.

1. Clear cookies 

2. Click on your text ad

3. Look for cookie named "gwcm" Copy contents 

4. Clear cookies

5. Click on your shopping ad

6. Look for cookie named "gwcm" Copy contents 

Post value of parameter fallback from both cookies. 

Regards, Nik

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Nik,

I have clicked on my ad, but can only see the following cookies that are not analytics or shopping cart

========================

Phone: gwcc 

%7B%22expires%22%3A1476701551%2C%22mobile_number%22%3A%2201905675894%22%2C%22formatted_number%22%3A%2201905%20675894%22%2C%22fallback%22%3A%2208009788920%22%2C%22clabel%22%3A%22SM-ZCMim-GoQ6-KJ9gM%22%7D

=========================================

Shopping:

gwcc:

%7B%22fallback%22%3A%2208009788920%22%2C%22clabel%22%3A%22SM-ZCMim-GoQ6-KJ9gM%22%2C%22backoff%22%3A86402%2C%22backoff_expires%22%3A1476783055%7D

Re: How to track website call conversions from google shopping ads.

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey

Sorry my bad i gave wrong cookie name.

Wow this is interesting so after clicking on shopping ads the cookie is diffrent and if you decode it you will see why its not populating google call forwarding number.

I am not sure if this is bug or expected behavior. Need some one from google to comment on it.  

@Neha Gupta Can you please escalate this to CM?

Regards

Nikhil

Regards, Nik

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How did your own experiment go Nikhil? Did you find anything useful?

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

This is a great topic you bring up, James. Google Shopping (formerly Product Listing Ads / PLAs) are designed around eCommerce transactions. The landing page MUST include a purchase button and it is quite possible that Google overlooked or decided not to track telephone call conversions with this campaign type.

A telephone call that results in a transaction is technically, in credit card industry parlance a "MOTO" ('mail order telephone order') style product transaction, versus an eCommerce transaction, so it would be understandable if Google decided to leave telephone tracking out.

Telephone calls could be tracked in Google Analytics, and with the right tagging you should be able to identify those which came from PPC traffic.

With an ecommerce site, many calls would not necessarily result in "sales" transactions (eCommerce conversions), but more likely just "events" which might move someone deeper into the sales pipeline.  So they should probably be tracked as a different type of pre-conversion event anyway, on an eCommerce site (unlike on a lead generation site).

Ad extensions, e.g. Call extensions are not part of Google Shopping so you cannot introduce a phone number that way.  It would have to be a Google voice tracking number on the landing page.  

Please let us know if the solutions posted above result in calls to your on-page phone number being tracked in AdWords. I have also added this topic to my list the next time I speak to Google about a shopping campaign.  I'll also post here if I learn anything definitive.