AdWords
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How to track visitors leaving by clicking an external link

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

Our webpages have pricing for bulk packs. We have links on the pages to external sites where our visitors can buy smaller quantities of these specific goods. I can't figure out whether Analytics already tracks anyone leaving our pages by clicking these links, or how to set up the means to track this.

Can anyone advise?

thanks

martin62

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to track visitors leaving by clicking an external link

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi martin62,

I think you need to look into Google analytics multiple domain tracking and get it set up if that's the way you are running the business.

This way you'll be able to see data across all your properties more easily

Please read this article about tracking multiple domains

I hope it helps.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author martin62
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

If you don't control these other sites, then there's not much you can do interms of cross domain tracking.

However, what you can do is add an event to the link that visitors click to go to the other site - once you have the event set up you can (if you need to) configure this as a goal.

At least you would then be able to track which of your visitors clicked to leave your site from these specific links.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi

While purefuzz is right, if you dont control the domains where your users are going after clicking on buttons on your website you should use virtual pageview in google analytics to track each click.

Hope this helps

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Purefuzz, thanks for taking time to reply. We have no control over these domains so we will adopt the Event Tracking recommendation.
Cheers Martin62

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Steve, thanks for taking time to reply. This sounds ideal - we will get it implemented asap!
cheers Martin62

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Nik, thanks for taking time to reply. We are going with Event Tracking and will look at Virtual Pageview as well.
cheers martin 62