AdWords
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How to track exact lead and channel?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am running an adwords campaign for lead generation.

I also have other channels bringing visitors to my site, like social media, referral and organic.

I can track them separately in Analytics. But I would like to track a specific lead to its source.

For example, I got two leads and I can see I got one from adwords and one from organic. (say John and Mary)

But how would I know which leads came from where? or more specifically how would I know John came from Adwords and Mary came from organic, or the other way around.

Hope my question is clear.

M

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to track exact lead and channel?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Manoj A,

You can segment the report paid vs. organic, or you can create a custom segment for AdWords visits and compare that to organic.

If you are advertising in other places besides AdWords, use manual tagging and identify the source (email, Facebook, Twitter, etc). Organic, direct and referral traffic all take care of themselves.

Here's a link to the URL builder to help you along.

Best of Luck!

Pete

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033867?hl=en
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Manoj,

Petebardo is correct - just make sure that if you haven't manually tagged, that your AdWords and Google Analytics accounts are linked and that you are auto-tagging your URLs.

Here is a step-by-step guide for linking your AdWords and Google Analytics accounts: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704341?hl=en

To turn on auto-tagging, click the little grey circle that looks like a gear in the top right corner of your AdWords screen, by your login name. This will then take you to Account settings. Go to the tracking section - you should see "preferences" and within that section you will see something that says "enable auto-tagging" with a little check box beside it. Check the box and click save.

Hope this helps!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your replies Pete and Amy!

My adwords and analytics accounts are linked, auto tagging turned on and the tracking is accurate.

I also use manual tagging for channels like e-mail.

The problem I am facing now is, all these channels are bringing in leads.

Some of these leads converts to customers and some don't.

I want to know which of these channels (organic, paid, referral, email...) are producing the best results (lead to customer).

To find that i want to track which lead came from where (then I can check if that lead converted to customer or not). Unless I know that, I will not be able to assess the effectiveness of a particular marketing channel.

Hope my question is bit more clear now.

M
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Manoj A
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Manoj,

That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification Smiley Happy

You can do what you are looking to do but it will require some effort on the back-end. I'm not sure what your sales process looks like but if the sale is happening offline, you will need to manually track which of your leads turn into sales and then upload that data back into Google Analytics. There is more info, here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2998031?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Amy,

The information in the link makes a lot of sense!.

If you can guide me to any online resource on the subject "How to extract GCLID from the URL and capture it with leads' that will be great (am I asking for too much! Smiley Happy )

Thanks again

M

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I saw the option mentioned in the link, will give it a try.

If you know another easy way, please let me know Smiley Happy

M

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

i have the same question manoj.... Have you found any solution to it???