AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How to split test keywords?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have a landing page with a link I want visitors to click, so my conversion rate will be clicks/visitors. I will use Google Adwords to get visitors to the landing page, and I want to know what keywords gives the highest conversion rate.

What is the simplest way to test this experimentally?

So just to clarify, I don't necessarily want to test conversion rates on different landing pages, and I don't necessarily want to test different wording in the advertisement. The question is rather what keywords to choose in Google Adwords for the best effect.

Best regards
Thimmy Bagfelt

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: How to split test keywords?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Thimmy, I'm not sure if you're talking about an actual split test - where you assign a set percentage of traffic to each of a set of Keywords - or simply looking for a way to measure the conversion rate of these clicks.  I'll assume the latter, please correct me if I'm wrong.

It's possible to set up a trackable event for an outbound link click on a webpage using Google Analytics.  I would suggest that you use Google Tag Manager for this, since it's possible you may want to measure other events and Tag Manager makes this quite easy.  Once you have set up an event for the outbound click, you can set this as an Event in Google Analytics, which can then be imported to AdWords as a conversion.  So, once complete, you'll be able to see the conversion rates against the Keywords.

There are lots of pages on the web describing how to set up outbound link event tracking so you could just search for "outbound link event tag manager" and browse a few until you find one (or more) helpful.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Thimmy, I'm not sure if you're talking about an actual split test - where you assign a set percentage of traffic to each of a set of Keywords - or simply looking for a way to measure the conversion rate of these clicks.  I'll assume the latter, please correct me if I'm wrong.

It's possible to set up a trackable event for an outbound link click on a webpage using Google Analytics.  I would suggest that you use Google Tag Manager for this, since it's possible you may want to measure other events and Tag Manager makes this quite easy.  Once you have set up an event for the outbound click, you can set this as an Event in Google Analytics, which can then be imported to AdWords as a conversion.  So, once complete, you'll be able to see the conversion rates against the Keywords.

There are lots of pages on the web describing how to set up outbound link event tracking so you could just search for "outbound link event tag manager" and browse a few until you find one (or more) helpful.

Jon

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

There are no certain keywords can lead to a high conversion rates and vice versa. Keywords performance varies from day to day, from location to location, from business to business from advertiser to advertiser and many other factors. Even if there are some specific keywords that give some of your competitor many conversions, it's not necessary to work for your business.

You can normally launch an adwords campaign and add all possible keywords related to your business and then start watching them to find out which works best and lead to high conversion rate and which not, then you can bid more on those successful keyword and bid less on those poor keywords or even delete them. This is the simple way to test keywords.

Take it a general rule in adwords, if you have a dozen of ideas for ads, keywords or whatever,
you can't know which is best without running and testing them.

Finally, I recommend you to go through this article to know how to structure adwords account and , pick the right keywords and monitor the keywords performance:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375470
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453981
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722084?hl=en&ref_topic=3119144

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for taking the time to write such a specific answer Cobnut!

I should have said that the link is internal. Let me clarify with more specifics (a bit simplified):

I will host an academic writing contest, where I want as many people as possible to send me their article. So the landing page will say something like "You should submit your article because..." and then there will be a link at the bottom of the landing page saying [Click here to submit your article].

Now suppose there are two groups of people, those who search "earn money academic writing" and those who search "earn recognition academic writing". I want to target my ad to both these groups, but I don't know which of the groups will give me a better conversion rate.

Both groups face the same ad: "Academic Writing Contest - earn $1,000 and recognition". Both groups are directed to the the same landing page.

Does that make sense?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Ahmed Ali for the advice!

I agree that testing for every specific business is important. I have read the articles and will definitely consider the lessons given there.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Thimmy, you should be able to use the same process to target internal links as an event, and then bring this event in to examine conversion data.

Jon

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

If both groups face the same ad and both groups are to be directed to the same landing page then what is different?

Are you seeking to find out which keyword phrase from Google AdWords leads to more conversions or are you seeking to find out which phrase from your landing page leads to more conversions?