AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How to show video ads on managed placements only

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am running a "Video - Video for shopping" campaign with 10 YouTube Channels selected as placements. For the first day or two my ads weren't showing at all, but when I raised the bid to $0.50 Max CPV they started running.

But, they did not run on any of my managed placements. This is very frustrating. The ads seem to have run randomly anywhere across the google network including in mobile apps, which is the opposite of managed placements, really. [censored]?

I have demographic targeting selected as well, but have selected all ages, sexes and parental statuses. Is this the problem? Are the demographics settings meaning "show it to anyone at all and ignore the fact that managed placements have been set"?

Or is something peculiar happening because it's a Video - Video for shopping campaign and not just a straight Video campaign?

Re: How to show video ads on managed placements only

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey Citydan,
Unfortunately you can't target in-stream video placements exclusively in new video-shopping campaigns, if you mouse-over Question mark right next to +Placements you will actually see this warning:
"Keep in mind: When you add YouTube placements, your ads may still run in eligible locations across the GDN. Similarly, when adding GDN placements, your ads may still run in eligible locations on YouTube."

Here is work-around you might want to try:

- Add product description as cards to your Video using Youtube Video manager, here are instructions.

- Create New Campaign with type Display Network only - all features

- Add your Video using ad gallery as in-stream video ad.

- Target your placements in Display Network > Placements, "Target and Bid" Mode.

Please share if this solution worked for you.

How to show video ads on managed placements only

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This is very frustrating!  What's the point of specifying a managed placement if it shows across the entire GDN network as well.  When I ran my video ad it didn't show on any of my specified Managed Placements & showed on a bunch of non-related & somewhat spammy videos instead.  

Here's the full text of the Question Mark that Alexey is referring to that shows in the Video Ads section.

"Keep in mind: When you add YouTube placements, your ads may still run in eligible locations across the GDN. Similarly, when adding GDN placements, your ads may still run in eligible locations on YouTube."

However, if you click into the "Learn More" link, it doesn't mention that Managed Placements don't apply to Youtube Ads.  

After all this, I kept the Managed Placements Video Campaign and added a Phrase Match keyword that related to the placements.  I'm starting to see the managed placements get some impressions but i'm splitting it with other un-managed placements as well.  I've got say though, I'm very satisfied with the un-managed placements that Adwords has chosen so far within the last 10 hours.  If you have a strong set of keywords you can target, I would recommend giving keywords try before giving up. 

----------

I've also setup Alexey's workaround using the display network as a test.  I started the display campaign at $5 a click and in 10 hours haven't seen any impressions yet.  So i'll probably need to experiment a little more.  

When setting up the Instream video ad it gives this disclaimer-
"This video ad will appear inside a video player, within video content on Display Network sites. Standard video ad slot play lengths are 15 and 20 seconds long, so your videos should be shorter in playing time than 15 or 20 seconds, respectively."

I spoke with an Adwords rep about this and he claims that it will show the whole ad until skipped despite the warning.