AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How to safely reduce CPA bids?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there, 

Quick question for the community! I have recently made changes to our Adwords account in efforts to reduce the Quality score. However this has led to a steep increase in the CPA. Could you please advise the best thing to do to reduce this?

Thanks in advance

Jeet. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to safely reduce CPA bids?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Jeet

Why you needed to reduce quality score? CPA bids can play in two ways, typically marketer will think having low CPA is better because the cost is low. However its not the case always, even having higher CPA bid is okay if you can reach in to more sales, These factors depend on your budget etc.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi sorry of course I meant increase the quality score, my changes have also effected the amount of clicks and conversions we have had in the last week. I reorganised the account so that their are no duplicate subject specific adgroups. However the Pasted keywords are not picking up the same performance in the consolidated adgroups?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Once you change a existing keyword, even though u copy pasted same keyword in newly created adgroup google will consider as a new keyword, which means all the historical data related to that keyword will be lost and most probably your quality score wont be same either.

Lets assume we are talking about well performing keyword here with high CTR. when u created the same keyword in new adgroup your keyword will not have those CTR data hence the quality score may differ which ultimately results in higher bids.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi ok sure I understand, so when making changes in Adwords, it is best as a rule of thumb to make incremental changes?

Thank you for your help btw.

Jeet

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Well ya if you need to keep your past performance data related to campaign you need to keep ur keywords without a change.

But practically its hard and we always get inevitable times that we need to make those changes, but in my experience other than for few number of keyword losing the hisotrical data and resetting the keyword havent done much of harm for me