AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How to measure change in QS from experiment

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am running an experiment where I vary only the ad content. The aim of this is to improve QS by increasing ad relevance. My problem is that when I segment the view of my data for the control and the experiment, the ad relevance and overall QS are not segmented - Google simply gives an overall value. Why is this so (as the Adwords literature suggests that it should be a variable between control and experiment)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Charles L
September 2015

Re: How to measure change in QS from experiment

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Charles,

Google uses ad relevance as a factor to determine your quality score, but it is not the only factor. The relevance of the ad is determined on things like the CTR of the ad and is not a metric in itself. It stands tor eason that if a high percentage of people are clicking your ad for a particular search term, it's a relevant ad. They also use the quality of your landing page as a factor as well as a number of other things. I would decide which ad to go for based on which ones have the highest CTR and are generating sales for you. If you do this, over time the quality score will improve and you'll notice CPCs getting lower.

Best of luck!

Rob

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Charles L
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Charles,

Google uses ad relevance as a factor to determine your quality score, but it is not the only factor. The relevance of the ad is determined on things like the CTR of the ad and is not a metric in itself. It stands tor eason that if a high percentage of people are clicking your ad for a particular search term, it's a relevant ad. They also use the quality of your landing page as a factor as well as a number of other things. I would decide which ad to go for based on which ones have the highest CTR and are generating sales for you. If you do this, over time the quality score will improve and you'll notice CPCs getting lower.

Best of luck!

Rob

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Rob !

I am curious if you have seen QS of 8 or 9 . If the QS is such a precise metric it surely would be more granular than awarding mostly 10 or 7 or 4 as I have seen it.

And how to you calculate CTR for impressions of ads bellow the screen level where the user didn't scroll to get a chance to click them, isn't this like dividing something to zero ?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Adrian,

I agree with you completely. The Quality Score metric given in the AdWords interface isn't as granular or insightful as it could be. To be honest, I don't pay a huge amount of attention to it.

However, it is unquestionably a very important factor in determining your adrank. We would be keeping an eye on and optimising our accounts regularly and it's quite easy to see when your quality score is improving as your CPCs drop and average position rises.

In my experience, thorough segmentation of your account in addition to effective optimisation leads to improvement in quality score and the overall performance of the account.

I'm not too bothered with the Quality Score itself, as it's evident when it's approving and when it's not.

Thanks!

Rob

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Many thanks, Rob - I'll measure success elsewhere.