AdWords
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How to measure ads in different formats

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

Is it possible to know which ad formats (text ads and display ads) perform better in a specific industry?

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tracy Y
September 2015

Re: How to measure ads in different formats

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Tracy

If you running different variations of ads in ur account u can understand which ads perform well, But if you asking about other advertisers ads which perform better in particular industry no you cant get it thorough adwords,

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
This is an interesting question.

Firstly, however, as Nisal explains we have no data across industries on different ad sizes - but there are things that we know something about..... from experience...

I'm going to list a couple of things I have found out - again - this is based on my own experience and I'd invite others to throw forward some of their own...

1. Some ad sizes are more popular than others. Both with advertisers and with publishers. I find the 250x250 as well as the 300 x 250 slots popular - the 728 x 90 and the 468 x 60 too... but then the 336 x 280 and the 970 x90 less so - and some of the "newer" sizes have little take up...

So what? Well with the more popular sizes there is going to be more inventory (i.e. slots on page to run the ads) but more competition. With the less popular sizes you might find that there is significantly less competition in your market place.

Then you should take a look at the sites you would most like to appear on - if they only run ads in three sizes, and you don't have those sizes, well, square pegs and round holes and all that....

2. Some designs simply work better in certain formats - the skyscrapers as well as the leaderboards are tough on designs - personally I prefer to miss out on a particular size if I cannot get the ad to work visually - I want my audience to see my ads and think - Oh right - that's that ad I saw yesterday - even though it's a different format. Having to run a completely different looking ad for two different sizes is something I try to avoid where possible.

3. leaderboards is just a name... we tend to think of them as, well, leaderboards - that's something that runs across the top of a page, right? In many cases tat's true, but some sites run them along the bottom or in the middle of content which means your ads could well be below the fold - keep an eye on this and if you are looking at managed placements take a moment to look at where your ads can appear.

4. It's almost becoming like mantra - but remember how mobile is the new kid on the block. Make sure your ads work on mobile devices - this is not just a size thing - it's about legibility as well... again, check to see where your ads might appear on mobile versions of your targeted sites.

And, finally, to get back to your original question.... test, Test again and then test some more. Don't be lazy and simply choose the easiest ad sizes - or the most common - develop ads in all available sizes and see which works best for you. You might surprise yourself - and us!

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Tracy

If you running different variations of ads in ur account u can understand which ads perform well, But if you asking about other advertisers ads which perform better in particular industry no you cant get it thorough adwords,
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
This is an interesting question.

Firstly, however, as Nisal explains we have no data across industries on different ad sizes - but there are things that we know something about..... from experience...

I'm going to list a couple of things I have found out - again - this is based on my own experience and I'd invite others to throw forward some of their own...

1. Some ad sizes are more popular than others. Both with advertisers and with publishers. I find the 250x250 as well as the 300 x 250 slots popular - the 728 x 90 and the 468 x 60 too... but then the 336 x 280 and the 970 x90 less so - and some of the "newer" sizes have little take up...

So what? Well with the more popular sizes there is going to be more inventory (i.e. slots on page to run the ads) but more competition. With the less popular sizes you might find that there is significantly less competition in your market place.

Then you should take a look at the sites you would most like to appear on - if they only run ads in three sizes, and you don't have those sizes, well, square pegs and round holes and all that....

2. Some designs simply work better in certain formats - the skyscrapers as well as the leaderboards are tough on designs - personally I prefer to miss out on a particular size if I cannot get the ad to work visually - I want my audience to see my ads and think - Oh right - that's that ad I saw yesterday - even though it's a different format. Having to run a completely different looking ad for two different sizes is something I try to avoid where possible.

3. leaderboards is just a name... we tend to think of them as, well, leaderboards - that's something that runs across the top of a page, right? In many cases tat's true, but some sites run them along the bottom or in the middle of content which means your ads could well be below the fold - keep an eye on this and if you are looking at managed placements take a moment to look at where your ads can appear.

4. It's almost becoming like mantra - but remember how mobile is the new kid on the block. Make sure your ads work on mobile devices - this is not just a size thing - it's about legibility as well... again, check to see where your ads might appear on mobile versions of your targeted sites.

And, finally, to get back to your original question.... test, Test again and then test some more. Don't be lazy and simply choose the easiest ad sizes - or the most common - develop ads in all available sizes and see which works best for you. You might surprise yourself - and us!