AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How to make balance between budget and match types?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

What is the way to attain balance between match types and bidding budget to get maximum output with better ROI? 

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to make balance between budget and match types?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Kapil,

There is no simple answer to your question.

It is the biggest challenge for all paid search campaign managers to achieve what you are looking for.

To find the best match type, bid, ad combination for the allotted budget for a campaign.

You can only find it by constant testing and optimization.

All the best!

Deepak

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Yeah, I do agree with that.

However, sometimes, we tend to spend a lot to get more accurate results.

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a tendency to set ad groups with 1 keyword in 3 match types and set MaxCPC for phrase lowered with 1  cent compared to the exact match and the BMM keyword lower again with 1 cent . The AdWords editor makes it easy to create from Excel hundreds of such ad groups. You can even create BMM keywords from excel with this method : link

This makes exact match search terms traffic to be alocated to the exact match keyword, and less traffic alocated to the BMM keyword and usually all 3 match types receive traffic. The result is more profitable as the BMM is not "stealing impressions" from the exact match or the phrase match" , because the lower MaxCPC makes it to have a lower ad rank. 

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
I do agree.

May be one thing we can try is to start with the most restrictive match type and find profitable keywords from them.

And then try with different match types of those profitable keywords and test. This can help to limit the inaccurate spend.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hey Adrian,

Thanks for your feedback. What I do understand from your response is this way can help me maintain both budget and traffic to my keyword. The idea is to lower the unwanted clicks.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hey Kapil,

The selecting the match type of keyword is very complicated in order to get the positive results.

As @Adrian said, He generally uses the BMM, where as i generally start with broad match keywords and developing the negative keywords list side by side to get rid of unwanted clicks/traffic.

After running the campaigns, i generate Search Terms Reports that help to understand, which keywords should i keep in Broad, BMM, Phrase and Exact.

Then i can also understand what is the good bid for every Match Type so that i can get the Good ROI.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

This different bidding helps to match search terms to more relevant keywords. But as Info mentioned you could start with exact match keywords only if you already know what people might be searching. For example if your site sells products you could generate hundreds of keywords with the name of the products and name + price.

If the location targeting is very small, you might need phrase match and BMM variations too, otherwise impressions and clicks could have a too low volume. Try the Keyword Planner to input some of your keywords to decide if they can bring enough traffic. It has an option to check "Traffic estimates" .

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hey Rakesh,

Thanks for your feedback. One more query, is it a good strategy to change match types with the budget? Will it have any negative impact on the overall campaign performance?

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Starting with broad match or BMM has it’s own problems as unless you find the profitable keywords fast your CTR is going to suffer as your ads can be exposed to a lot of non relevant queries, resulting in low quality score and high CPCs.
When you consider the wastage through non targeted clicks broad match brings in with this the results may not be desirable.
And if you have a huge keyword inventory, using all the match types of all those keywords without finding the profitable ones will complicate your account management process.

My thoughts,

Deepak