AdWords
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How to interpret data from auctions insights

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Let's say that for a campaign I have the following auction insights report for a keyword

interpreting-impression-share-percentages.png

Now I can see on the first column that from all competitors I have the highest impression share, over 55%.

What does that mean in simple words? Does it mean that I had more budget than the rest of them, this allowing me to run the ads for more impressions, even if generally my Ad was not on a great avg. position like 1 or 2, it was closer to 3?

Why are the overlap rate percentages corelated with the impression share percentages, meaning that the higher the overlap rate, the higher the impression share and vice versa?

What do you generally find useful in this report, auction insights, besides the list of competitors and a general ad position? I will gladly read whatever feedback you guys want to write.

Later edit: I also noticed that in all auction insights reports, I have the highest percentage of Impression share, is it

a) due to a high campaign budget, or

b) there is an explanation regarding why this percentage should be always highest for me in comparison to all other competitors?

Thank you

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to interpret data from auctions insights

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Adrian B;

The key three metrics in this report, which could  give an indication about performance are top page rate, position above rate and out ranking share. (The latter 2 are very close in definition). Overall, you could see your performance per keyword(s) this report. Historically, Google released this report after 3rd party tools started to show up in the market.

Honestly, I don't think the average position and impar. share (which is a metric with huge inaccuracy) should be included . The denominator of the impression share is an estimate, which could be huge.  (" mpression share is based on an estimate of when your ad was competitive in the auction"). If you use this metric, IMHO,  the exact match  impression share  is a better indicator  of keyword performance. 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
So the impression share is like a smoothie mix of 10 fruits, but when I observe that the mix "tasted good" it could have been only one fruit in the mix that gives the great taste, which is an analogy to the main keyword, the exact match.

So the best way to measure data is to check the auctions insights from the exact match keyword? Otherwise this report mixes the competition data from a variety of search terms?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
I wouldn't say so.
This is the combination of data Google sees as the best to represent performances compared to competitors.
I highlighted the "pro and cons" in my view.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok, thank you. I is an interesting point of view.
I guess the top page rate will become more important, as right hand side ads were removed. Maybe this report should also include a column now for "bottom of page rate", or is this a calculable variabile?
For example i I see my "top of page rate" of 40% it would mean also that in 60% of the auctions my ad was shown down on page?
Or does the 100% include a percentage of instances when the ad was not shown at all due to losing the auction?
This report should be better explained in the documentation.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
I assume that "Top of page vs Bottom of page" will be added at some point.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, I do find this report a bit confusing can you break it down for me? Am I doing well or not with my competitiors?> thank you

This is one campaign with 8 ad groups total.  

Auction insights report (All Time)            
Below includes One Campaign with 8 Ad Groups        
Display url domain Impr. share Avg. position Overlap rate Position above rate Top of page rate Outranking share
ME 50.27% 2.2  --  -- 62.18%  --
Competitor 16.22% 3.1 22.33% 40.45% 56.64% 45.73%
Competitor < 10% 2.7 12.65% 44.93% 66.25% 47.41%
Competitor < 10% 1.1 9.85% 99.12% 98.46% 45.36%
Competitor 22.30% 2 26.76% 68.98% 80.34% 40.99%
Competitor 14.08% 3.1 18.79% 38.47% 66.96% 46.64%
Competitor 11.75% 2.6 14.09% 57.56% 66.12% 46.19%

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.