AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How to improve your ROI with Conversion tracking

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

Hey Guys,

I am part of the account performance and management team in Google and have some tips to help you track conversions and improve your return on investment using conversion tracking.

A conversion can be any action that a customer takes on your website that has value to your business such as purchasing a product, signing up for a newsletter or completing a survey.

Conversion data gives you some important information. For example you may notice that a specific keyword has a CTR of 3%, which appears to be performing well, but without tracking conversions how can you determine the ROI you are getting from clicks on this keyword? With conversion tracking you can see the percentage of clicks that result in conversions. This allows you to optimize your keywords, ad groups and campaigns to drive conversions.

Conversion tracking is very easy to set up. You simply have to add a small snippet of HTML to a webpage on your site. This snippet should be placed on the page the user will see once they have completed a conversion for example the order confirmation page. You can set up the conversion goal and generate the HTML snippet from your AdWords account by following this step by step guide.

Another advantage of conversion tracking is that you can use advanced bidding features such as Enhanced CPC and Conversion Optimiser. Both of these bidding features use your historical conversion data to optimise your bids for clicks that seem more likely to lead a conversion.

For those of you already using Google Analytics it is even easier to track conversions. Assuming you have linked your Analytics with your AdWords account you can set up goals in Analytics and import these goals into AdWords. For instructions on how to important Analytics goals into AdWords see the step by step guide.

Conversion Tracking is a really cool feature and I would encourage you all to set it up. It will give you a more detailed way of measuring the performance of your AdWords account and ultimately drive ROI.

Anyone have any other tips?

Thanks guys

Eoin

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to improve your ROI with Conversion tracking

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
I have a tip. I have tried both Max CPA and Target CPA in Conversion Optimizer but Max CPA seems to perform well.

This is only my experience. May be other optimizers opinion may differ.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Eoin that was really great!

I wanted to add a tip and that is Ecommerce Tracking in Google Analytics. Advertisers who have their own ecommerce sites can track and view ecommerce data right in the Analytics User Interface. There is some code required but it is not very difficult. This Google Developers documentation is a helpful resource

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/gajs/gaTrackingEcommerce

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks For Sharing Your Experience. I have also always used the default CPA.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

For using Conversion Optimizer Effectively - Refer this post of CPA based bidding.

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Improve-results/CPA-Bidding/m-p/11940/highlight/false#M508