AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How to implement UTM for adgroups

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I like to setup UTM codes for our adgroups. I can add Tracking Template and Custom parameter, but I dont seem to be able to change the URL for the adgroup and just pasting in UTM link?

We currently don't have any tracking other than than conversion tracking.

How do I do add the UTM code on the adgroup leve?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to implement UTM for adgroups

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Oscar,

If you enable auto tagging and also link AdWords and Analytics, all the AdWords metrics will be pulled through into Analytics automatically without the need for utm tracking.

If you would still like to use utm tracking for whatever reason, you could use a parameter not designed for the Ad Group to be used for that purpose. For Example, you could use UTM_Term for your ad group name.

You would need to create custom segments or custom reporting in Analytics but it can be done.

Robin

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hey Oscar,

If you are not using any other form of tracking except Analytics.. If I were you, I would opt only for Auto-tagging and not use any additional parameters. If you still want to go ahead and use it at adgroup level, you will have to manually add a parameter to the URL. The tracking template works at a campaign level. The Adgroup names will have to be hardcoded since there is no value for it. You can declare a custom parameter for every adgroup to make this faster.

Example:
Tracking template:
{lpurl}?campaign=googleppc&publisher={_publisher}&Source={Google}&Medium={cpc}&keyword={keyword}&matchtype={matchtype}&placement={placement}&adgroup={_adgroup}

Custom parameter:
{_publisher}=Core_ALP {_adgroup}=ContactNumber

Let me know if I can help in any other way!
Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

If you don't use auto-tagging you can use Google's provided URL Builder: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033867?hl=en