AdWords
6.3K members online now
6.3K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How to explain the number in an audience from AdWords tag ?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

1) Can we account exactly for why we have a certain number of visitors in an audience for Search made with the AdWords tag ? For example if we see 900 and we think that they are not enough, can we explain why they are only 900 and as a consequence not enough to start a RLSA campaign ?

2) Which can be the sources of discrepancies between the number of visitors from this AdWords Tag remarketing audience and the visitors recorded by Google Analytics to the same site or page ?

For simplification, let's use the same time-frame of last 30 days.

Re: How to explain the number in an audience from AdWords tag ?

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Adrian,

(1) If your audience list isn't as big as you think it should be, the tag isn't really going to give you insights to glean. It's just code that executes. We can check to see that the tag is set up properly to make sure you're capturing users correctly, but making sure the code is executing properly is really all we can do.

(2) I wouldn't expect these numbers to match since they are different tags (AdWords remarketing tag vs. Analytics code), but I wouldn't expect the difference to be vast. It's probably also the case that your remarketing audience list data is being updated at a different time than your Analytics site data, so that would also probably yield discrepancies.

Let me know if I didn't answer your questions fully.

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Just 3 more questions :

1) Is the AdWords Tag building an audience including organic/referral/direct visitors too or just paid visitors from clicks ?

I know that on the RLSA setup page it says "The code tells AdWords to add every site visitor" , but I have seen how the conversion code act in two ways ,one counting only paid and the other counting organic+paid :

The conversion script adds only paid visitors who clicked the Ads to the conversion count and for the other metric the VTC ( view-through-conversions) the total is incremented including the organic visitors who previously viewed an AD so the same conversion code can do two things depending on the metric, 

I find the expression "every site visitor" ambiguous if the RLSA audience includes organic visitors it should say it in plain words.

2) Is the AdWords audience counting only unique visits , so it should match more the number found in Analytics for "new visitors" and excluding the "returning visitors" for the same time-frame ?

3) Let's say that I have connected a second analytics account to adwords from a website which has only organic visits, and I use the same AdWords tag on all of its pages.

If I use the rule for the audience "Visited the page EQUALS = a_webpage_from_the_other_site" will an audience start to build up based on the organic visitors from the other site ? I have done such a test and I see an audience building up but I want official confirmation that organic visitors are counted in an audience.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
Hi Adrian,

1. The remarketing tag should capture all visitors, regardless of their traffic source

2. The remarketing tag doesn't really look at whether the user is new or returning, as Analytics defines it. Once a user visits the site, they get a cookie on their browser, and it lasts until they clear their cookies or until the list duration runs out, whichever comes first. So the audience size isn't going to match "new visitors" or "returning visitors." Because it could be the case that the user is "returning" based on the Analytics cookie (it lasts six months), but they are "new" for the remarketing cookie.

3. You can use the same tag across multiple domains, and it should build lists from users to both sites (again, regardless of traffic source)

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Really useful to know for everyone who has a lot of organic visits for remarketing  Smiley Happy

For a while I believed that the Tag only gathers paid unique visitors because I assumed that the code acts like the conversion code.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to explain.