AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How to exclude my IP for Campaigns

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I want to exclude my IP so that if I go directly to my landing pages Without clicking the ads the conversion metrics do not get affected?

How can I accomplish this. Also If I want to accomplish the same for my GA values how do I do this?

Thanks

Aditya

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: How to exclude my IP for Campaigns

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi,

If you have NOT clicked on an ad and DO NOT have any previous click cookies on your computer, you will NOT be able to trigger a conversion, no matter what kind of conversion it is.  The two pieces (cookie and conversion code) have to meet in order for a conversion to register in AdWords.

You are using page views as conversions, those DO NOT require a very specific action to register a conversion but will still require a click on an ad.  Conversion tracking really should be used just to see those users who reach the final page of the conversion funnel; the thank you page. 

Here you have 3 stages and each one of them reporting conversions, personally, if the ultimate goal is to get sign-ups, I would have the form on the landing page and conversion code ONLY on the final thank you page, confirming ONLY a full sign up as a conversion.

I think you are definitely going to have trouble tracking actual conversions using this type of set up, it will skew your conversion reporting quite a bit. 

Yes, if the thank you page has 3 conversions reported, regardless of 1 per click or many per click, it means that you have 3 successful signups.   

With this setup, you cannot judge the conversion reporting in your regular campaign reporting because you will have 3 conversions reported per lead.  Maybe this is what you want.  However, I do not think it is ideal.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 12
Top Contributor

Hi,

Technically you're digging into only Analytics issues now.  Please feel free to open a new thread about this particular issue if you cannot solve it.  But I would suggest that you also may seek Analytics help in the Analytics Forum.

I'm really sorry, I wish I had more info for you, I just cannot grasp what you are doing and without knowledge of your site...it's almost impossible for me to help.

I'm Just an AdWords guy after all.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Aditya,

First, if you go directly to your landing pages, without clicking ads, conversions should NOT be counted.  Perhaps you have some old cookies on your machine from previous clicks counting many-per-click conversions?

Here are two resources for you:

AdWords Exclude IP addresses

Analytics How do I exclude my internal traffic from reports?

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks.

"old cookies on your machine from previous clicks counting many-per-click conversions?"

Now If I have old cookies left and still I visit directly the landing pages - In this case too my many per click will increase in adwords?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi,

Yes, if the 'click' cookies are still on your computer/browser and you are visiting your landing pages directly, and complete the conversion action, these actions will be counted as conversions.

You may find this article helpful:  Understanding conversion tracking

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

But then even if I clear my cookies and come back to my landing page still conversions per many will get updated.

I have a flow of 3 stages which are setup in my Conversions for Adwords table.

1. Landing page

2. Signup Page - lead fills up his details

3. Thankyou Page - lead successfully signs up

Now if that table shows me Thankyou Page = 3 conversions per many cliks I assume it as 3 leads successfully generated?

Now how do I get the accurate numbers. See my table below please for better judgement of my Issue -

conv

Thanks

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi,

If you have NOT clicked on an ad and DO NOT have any previous click cookies on your computer, you will NOT be able to trigger a conversion, no matter what kind of conversion it is.  The two pieces (cookie and conversion code) have to meet in order for a conversion to register in AdWords.

You are using page views as conversions, those DO NOT require a very specific action to register a conversion but will still require a click on an ad.  Conversion tracking really should be used just to see those users who reach the final page of the conversion funnel; the thank you page. 

Here you have 3 stages and each one of them reporting conversions, personally, if the ultimate goal is to get sign-ups, I would have the form on the landing page and conversion code ONLY on the final thank you page, confirming ONLY a full sign up as a conversion.

I think you are definitely going to have trouble tracking actual conversions using this type of set up, it will skew your conversion reporting quite a bit. 

Yes, if the thank you page has 3 conversions reported, regardless of 1 per click or many per click, it means that you have 3 successful signups.   

With this setup, you cannot judge the conversion reporting in your regular campaign reporting because you will have 3 conversions reported per lead.  Maybe this is what you want.  However, I do not think it is ideal.

-Tom

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

So actually from the above conversions Image - I needed to know how many people are making it to the landing page, then signup page and finally converions. But as you are saying that only the final ie: thankyou page's conversions I should look at is it?

What do you suggest I should do in order to track the correct conversions? How should I set this up?

Also I setup goals in funnels to better understand my campaign process -

If you see from the below Image -

Why is my landing page coming last. How do I look and interpret from the above Image?

Also in my goal settings I have done this -

goal

Is there something wrong in setting up this due to which screwed reports are showing up?

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Aditya,

Yes, I would suggest that you use your Analytics funnels to view the path that users are taking through your site and only count completed sign-up forms as conversions. Only have conversion code installed on the final thank you/form completion page.

Yes, it does appear that something could be wrong with your funnel set up but I'm unable to determine exactly what that is.

Please make sure to follow the guidelines set by Google for setting up Goals and Funnels.

-Tom

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

But to track other pages too as conversions would have those codes on those page hurt. ?

Or would they interfere with my final conversion analytics on the thankyou page?

For goals I have it setup this way below -

Does the funnel part also need to include the landing page url too .Though I have already included that above - if you see in the Image above.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi,

If you install conversion code, no matter where it is, it will track and count as a conversion if the cookie is present.  Personally, I would not install or use conversion code for anything other than tracking my actual conversions.  You could certainly have multiple conversions on a site:  newsletter sign up, purchase, lead form etc.  This depends on your overall advertising goals and your site/products.

I would not recommend you use conversion tracking just to see when people see a page in your conversion path, use Analytics for that. 

Your issue with Analytics is your goal URL.  This should be the thank you page.  The goal is to get them through the path to fill out the form and finally land at the thank you page. 

Landing Page - 1st Step in Funnel

Form Page - 2nd Step in Funnel

Thank You Page - Conversion page and Goal URL

-Tom