AdWords
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How to do landing page split testing with ACE?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I want to do split testing of new Landing page with ACE. I Found below link and done the way he explained.

http://searchengineland.com/how-to-use-ace-for-landing-page-testing-with-minimal-risk-83940

But i am littile confused. I have created New Adgroup where i added same ads and keywords but only changed landing page. But when I run this ad group, its showing this keyword is triggering other ads with similar keywords.

do i need to add identical ad copy with different landing page in same ad group and then apply ACE?

Please help me..

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to do landing page split testing with ACE?

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

I don't neccessarily think that using ACE is required.

Within your ad group, if you simply create a duplicate ad, change the landning page and put the ad rotation as Rotate indefinitely or rotate evenly this will be the best way to split test landing pages.

If you're having problems with ads from other ad groups/campaigns showing for your keywords, make sure that you take the keywords from the ad group that you're split testing ad variations in and put them as negative exacts in the other ad groups/campaigns. That way you can ensure that the correct ad is showing for the correct search terms.

Hope this helps.

Ryan.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

But when I run this ad group, its showing this keyword is triggering other ads with similar keywords.

What do you mean by this? Can you elaborate?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello, Sanjay.

As far as I understood, you have the following setup:

- ad groups A and B, as part of the same campaign

- ad group A points all the ads to landing page A

- ad group B points all the ads to landing page B

What you have to do now is to enable experiments for your campaign, decide how much of the traffic you will send to the control ad group and how much to the experiment, and then decide which ad group will be in the control group and which one in the experiment group.

Here's a link to help you get started: http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375383

Once you're done, the system will alternate showing ads, according to the ratio you've specified (it does not have to be 50-50%, it can be even 90-10% if you want to).

Hope it helps, but please get back to us if you can't get it sorted.

@David, I guess that if the ad groups are not assigned one to experiment and one to control, when trying to see if the system shows ads for the new ad group it notifies you that it shows ads for the old keyword, in the old ad group, the one that got the chance to accumulate some history and therefore has a higher QS. This should not happen if one ad group is set to experiment only and the other to control only.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Sorry to hijack but when you say to change the ad rotation for a specific ad group, do you mean campaign? I can't find where to change the ad rotation per ad group, only per campaign.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Calin,

Thanks for this very clear explanation. I'd like to come back on one of the questions raised by Sanjay though, maybe you can help. I set up my campaigns adding identical ad copies with different landing page in same ad group and then apply ACE. There is always one control URL and one experiment URL with a different experiment URL by ad group. Is this going to work this way or should I duplicate the entire ad groups?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Luca

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

I don't see why it should not work, @luca S.

But it would be great if you could test and post back the results.

Another thing that came to my mind and which I don't know now, off the top of my head, is if the system balances traffic at "item" level or at "campaign" level. I hope the logic is not "next impression goes to the control group, in whichever ad group has the keyword that matches the search term" but rather "I should show an ad from this ad group, according to the rotation, but hey, last time I've used the control group, so now I should use the experiment one".

That's because if "load-balancing" is done at campaign level, you may see, campaign-wise, an even split (or whatever you've chosen) between control and experiment, but you might see, according to whatever searches were used, that 80% of the time an ad in ad group B was used in the experiment segment, and the ads in ad groups A and C were only used 15% and 5% of the time.

In other words, I hope the system first directs the traffic where it should go (selects the keyword and implicitly the ad group and the ad) and then looks if that keyword and are also present in an experiment segment, and if they are, and if it's the experiment group's turn, it uses the experimental bid and the experimental ad to calculate the QS and enter the auction.

Sorry if I don't make too much sense, but if I do, stick to the first two lines of this message and discard the rest Smiley Happy.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.