AdWords
6K members online now
6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How to differentiate keywords by conversion (when there is more than one)?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey there everyone!

I have two conversions I'm testing for - an "Ebook download" and a "Free Trial Sign Up". My issue is that it just shows up as a "Conversion" in the Campaign view. And when I go to "Reports", and put the "Keywords" in the left column, I don't see an option to list both conversions separately...The only that appears is "Free Trial Sign Up"

If I click "Tools" -> Conversions -> then I see the TOTAL conversions for both ebook downloads and Free Trial Sign Ups, but not differentiated by keyword!

Any ideas how to generate a report like this? There is a big difference in value for these (Free Trial Sign Up is worth much more!), hence my dilemma!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to differentiate keywords by conversion (when there is more than one)?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Tim C;

Regardless of the technical issue, offering a free gift in exchange to a sign-up (i.e user personal info) is a practice  known as "information harvesting". This is not allowed, and the account most likely be suspended. 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I appreciate your concern, however, this is B2B lead generation, and I have yet to hear of accounts being banned due to offering EBooks. HubSpot widely practiced this, and is a publicly listed company.

EDIT: all ads currently go to a free trial page, and if the user checks around the site, there are many ebooks they can download. I don't see how this is information-harvesting.
Also, while I appreciate the reply itself, it did not answer the central purpose of this post and question: I want to be able to have two conversion goals differentiated by Keyword in the reporting section of AdWords- is this possible?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
You can create custom columns in the Campaigns and Ad groups tabs. Unfortunately, I don't believe this can be done at the keyword level at this time, but you can at least get more insight.

Click the "Columns" drop down and choose "Modify Columns..." The last option on the left is "Custom columns". Choose this, name your new column, and in the Formula section in the drop-down for "Select a metric", choose "Conversions". Once that is up, you can choose which segments to include in the column, and one of the options is by "Conversion name".

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Tim C

>>"I have yet to hear of accounts being banned due to offering EBooks

Search our  community and other sources  You'll find too many,

Here are 2 threads to start with;

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Ad-Approval-Policy/Site-Suspended-Policy-Not-Clear-Free-Sa...

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Ad-Approval-Policy/Can-Adwords-Allow-Me-To-Promote-a-free-...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tim C
May 2016

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Michael,

Thanks for the swing at this one. I actually just figured it out.

Reports ->

And then the column would be "Search Keyword" - "Conversions" and "Conversion Action Name"

"Conversion Action Name" in reporting shows the all your conversions side-by-side! Combined with "Search Keyword" in the left most column, and BOOM - there it is Smiley Happy