AdWords
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How to determine if a signup originated from paid or organic search?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We've got some people helping to increase our organic search rankings. We'd like to pay them commission on our account signups that originate via organic search, i.e. not adwords.

With classic GA, this would be as simple as reading the utmz_medium cookie.

Any idea how to do this in GA Universal? 

Edit: To clarify, we want to be able to attribute the source medium from google to our side, so that we can run monthly reports and pay commissions accordingly.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to determine if a signup originated from paid or organic searc

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Jeff E,

I found this:

Q26. What is the biggest drawback of _ga cookie?

You can’t dig out session or campaign specific data from _ga cookie as all of these calculations happen in the backend on UA servers.

On this site: https://www.optimizesmart.com/google-analytics-cookies-ultimate-guide/#Universal_Analytics_Cookies

If this is correct, and I suspect it is, you won't be able to get that data from a GA cookie.

What you might do is set a source cookie yourself when the visitor first hits your site it the user cam through organic search if the referrer is a Google property. When the account signup is submitted, look for that cookie and save whatever data you need along with the account signup data at that time. Then you can run periodic reports against the database.

Sorry, that's the best I can do.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords