AdWords
5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How to check if your Cross-Domain Tracking is working

Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

Hi all,

Kate from the AdWords Support team is here today to give us a brief insight into Cross Domain Tracking. Kate is going to explain how to test if your cross domain tracking is working correctly. 

Over to you Kate...

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to check if your Cross-Domain Tracking is working

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Thanks Rachel!  And Hi Community!

As Rachel mentioned, my name is Kate and I'm on the AdWords Support Team.  I get a lot of questions on cross-domain tracking - what is it and how do I check if it's working properly?  So I've done my best to outline what you need to do below - hope it helps!

When is cross domain tracking necessary?

Ecommerce tracking allows you to measure the number of transactions and revenue that your website generates.

If you use a third-party shopping cart, or track transactions across separate domains, you should implement cross domain tracking in order to track conversions (as regular conversion tracking or Ecommerce tracking will not be sufficient). On the other hand, if your shopping cart software and Ecommerce site are on the same domain, you only need Ecommerce tracking and do not need cross-domain tracking.

How to check if your cross domain tracking is working.

In order to test your Ecommerce code (once you have implemented cross-domain tracking properly), you can complete a test transaction. When you reach the "thank you" page where the Ecommerce code is implemented:

1) Check to see if the Ecommerce code has fired. You can do this using Chrome Developer tools or you can check using our Chrome extension "Tag Assistant".  If it fires, that's a good sign.  If it doesn't, there is something you need to fix.

2) Check the source code to find the transaction ID and then look for that ID in your accounts the next day (due to data delay in Analytics) in the 'Transactions' report under the 'Conversions' section in your Analytics account. If you find it, you will be able to see how it was reported and if it's correct.  

Lest there be an issue: at the time of your test transaction, save the source code of that 'thank you' page and let us know - that way, if there is a remaining issue, we can do our best to help as long as you've implemented the code in the standard way outlined here.  

Happy tracking!

Kate Smiley Happy

*Was this post helpful in solving your issue? If so, we'd love to know! Please leave either a comment below, or click the star icon at the top of this post! Thanks!