AdWords
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How to calculate exact match impression share for a group of campaigns?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I am trying to see how to calculate the exact match impression share for a group of campaigns.

Let's say I have a group of campaigns (campaign 1, campaign 2, campaign 3) pertaining to the same theme, for which I want to have consolidated metrics.

The formula to calculate the exact match IS at the group level is:

Groups exact match IS = ( exact match impression C1 +  exact match impression C2 +  exact match impression C3 ) / ( exact match search volume C1 + exact match search volume C2 + exact match search volume C3 )

Adwords gives exact match impression share (IS) at the campaign level. But to calculate the exact match at the group level, I need to have the actual number of exact match impressions per campaign. But this information is not available in the campaign tab in Adwords. Any idea as to how to get it?

Lothaire

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to calculate exact match impression share for a group of campaigns?

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Lothaire,

As per Adwords: Exact match IS: The percentage of impressions that you received for searches that exactly matched your keyword divided by the estimated number of exact match impressions you were eligible to receive. This data is only available for campaigns and ad groups in the Search Network.

Now you can check the Exact match impression share at Ad groups also, a few days ago Google adwords rolled this feature. In order to see this click on Ad group and then click on Dimension Tab now click on Columns and then Customize column now at Competitive Metrics you can add the impression share, Exact match IS, Lost IS rank in your ad group column.

Impression Share Updates Rolling out Globally

Dinesh
My Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Dinesh,

Adwords definition of exact match IS can't be correct: a percentage divided by a number of impressions is not a percentage.

They probably meant to write:  The number of impressions that you received for searches that exactly matched your keyword divided by the estimated number of exact match impressions you were eligible to receive. 

Now, the issue for me is how can I get at the campaign level the number of impressions for searches that exactly matched the campaign's keywords?

Lothaire

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello,

Trust you doing great.

I am NOT too sure may be you can run a search query report and sort match type as exact and can see number of impressions.

I don't think impressions for exact searched query is available. Please share with us as well if you find the answer!

Please correct if i am wrong.

Thanks,

Neha Gupta

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Lothaire,

In addition to above thoughts, I would like to add that there is another alternative to look at the Exact Match Impression Share for your campaigns and ad groups.

On the Campaigns Tab, click on columns>>customize columns>>then select Competitve Metrics>>Exact Match IS. You can do this for any particular campaign also and by that you will be able to get an idea which campaigns and which ad groups have the most %age for this competitive metric.

Hope that may be of some help!

Pankaj

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Lothaire, I'm not sure I got it right, but if you click "All online campaigns", and choose Impressions (I) and Exact Match IS (EM IS) as metrics, you'll end up with a list of campaigns, each giving you I and EM IS.

So if campaign A has 900 I and 90% EM IS, and Campaign B has 800 I and 50% EM IS, then the global EM IS is (900 + 800) / (1000 + 1600) = 65.38%.

All you need is campaign report, Excel or Google Spreadsheets and you're set. 

"the number of impressions for searches that exactly matched the campaign's keywords" = (total impressions received) / (sum of available impressions for all campaigns).

Or am I missing something?

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Guys,

I want to post a live example, using Calin's symbols. The campaign's current data for the last 7 days are as follows: I=42,207 and EMIS=90%. We can pull a Search Term report into excel and create a pivot table for the match types. Note that I don't have broad match keywords in the campaign.

Row   Labels Impr. Proj.
exact 4,072 27,587
phrase 2,158 14,620
Grand Total 6,230 42,207

In the above tables the Proj column is my linear projection for the total number of impressions accrued because the report pulled from Google only accounted for 6,230 impressions. The above numbers are impressions received *versus* impressions available. -R will mean received and -A will mean available.

Now EMIS = EMI-R devided by EMI-A. Hence EMI-A = EMI-R devided by EMIS.

Using the above numbers: EMI-A = 27,587 devided by 0.9 which is 30,652 and basically the OP's second question was related to how to calculate the EMI-A. (Exact match impressions available). His first question was answered by himself when he corrected the 2nd entry. His second query is answered by the above calculation.

The weak point in the calculation is the Proj. column in the above table which is an approximation but we are unable to do a better job before the Search Term report accounts for all impressions.

When Calin devided I by EMIS he assumed that all impressions are in the first row of the above table and that the values in the second row (and the 3rd row too if you also have broad match keywords) are zeros.

Best,

Lakatos

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

:hats off:

That's right, EMIS = number of impressions available with all keywords potentially set to exact match.

Still, I don't think I'm getting it quite right. EMIS is not the number of impressions obtained by the exact match keywords divided by the number of impressions available with current match types in place, but the number of impressions received when the search term was a precise / exact match for the keywords you have, divided by the total impressions available for that keyword list when set to exact match.

Could be wrong on this one, I'm not quite firing on all cylinders now.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Calin,

EMIS = EMI-R/EMI-A

E.i. Exact Match Impression Share equals to Exact Match Impressions Received devided by Exact Match Impressions Available.

1. "the number of impressions received when the search term was a precise / exact match for the keywords you have"

Correct. That's what we call the Exact Match Impressions Received or EMI-R.

2. "the total impressions available for that keyword list when set to exact match"

Correct again. That's termed Exact Match Impressions Available or EMI-A.

The quotient of the 1st and 2nd metrics is the Exact Match Impression Share (EMIS) as shown by the above formula. Any numbers relative to the second metric (EMI-A) are never disclosed by Google in any report. In my previous post I described how we can approximate EMI-A by applying a linear projection after we have created a pivot on pulling a Search Terms report into an excel file and finally inverting the above formula.

Cheers,

Lakatos

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

You're right. I was blind, but now I see Smiley Happy.

What you have in your table are not impressions for keywords with exact or phrase match type, but impressions for search terms which matched your keywords in "exact match mode" and "phrase match mode". That's because even a broad or phrase keyword can match the search term exactly.

I knew I was missing something, but unfortunately on this one I started all wrong. Thanks for a great exaplanation.