AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How to calculate CPA with two actions separately?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I set two actions in my adwords, signup and purchase. As you know, when I view the report with segment conversion action name, there is signup and purchase date in column Conv. (many-per-click)  and Cost / conv. (many-per-click)  for separate action (signup and purchase). But on the bottom, the Total-all campaigns row, I find the Cost/conv.(many-per-click) for separate signup and purchase is wrong. I think CPA for signup is Total Cost/signup and CPA for purchase is Total Cost/purchase, but it seems that the report in column Cost/conv.(many-per-click) for signup and purchase doesn't calculate the CPA by the way I mentioned. How does it calculate the  CPA of this two actions separately? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to calculate CPA with two actions separately?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Interesting Question. Smiley Happy

As far as I analyzed, I do not think total for individual conversion segments are calculated the way you described. As far as I could see there is no Clicks Vs Cost Vs Conv (1-per-Click) data shown for these individual segments (Hidden Smiley Happy ). It just shows only Conv (Many-per-click) and Cost/Conv (Many-per-Click) data. We will not be able to do any calculation having just these two fields.

I think we should treat this as we do for Actual CPC where we will not be able to find the actual CPC for every click. It is always Average CPC.

Thanks,
Balu.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry I didn't express myself clearly. I calculate Avg. CPA for different actions (signup or purchase) by this way, and I think it's similar to calculate Avg. CPC.
If you view report, you'll find that on campaign level with segment, the CPA for signup or purchase is calculated by this way, campaign cost / actions(signup or purchase). But on account level, total cost/ signup (or purchase) doesn't equals the value of column Cost / conv. (many-per-click) for signup (or purchase). That's my query..

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
I got that point. Please ignore my last line. I was trying to say there are data in Adwords that you can't see like Actual CPC.

If you use segments, I do not think you will be able to view Clicks and Cost for that specific Signup or Purchase segment. You can see only Conv (many per click) and Cost/Conv (Many Per click) if I'm not wrong. For you, the CPA matches for campaign but not at the Account level. We have campaigns where the CPA for specific segment do not match with the Campaign level. What I'm trying to say here is, we do not have exact data at segment level for individual conversions.

Also I want to highlight a point to refer:
1. Have you Deleted any of your Campaigns? See if you have All Campaigns selected to view your deleted campaign details too.

Thanks,
Balu.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

If I may add something here :

"If you view report, you'll find that on campaign level with segment, the CPA for signup or purchase is calculated by this way, campaign cost / actions(signup or purchase). But on account level, total cost/ signup (or purchase) doesn't equals the value of column Cost / conv. (many-per-click) for signup (or purchase)."

When you view the "Total All campaigns " , I suppose you clicked the plus sign in front of that text , after activating "segment / Conversion name" like this

segment-conv-many-per-click.png

On the account level, they make an average from all the Cost / Conv (many per click)

For example if you have [ 10 conversions for 2 $=20$ in Campaign1=Search ] and 1 conversion for 10 $ in Campaign2=Display network you will see in the row at the "Total All campaigns" level a simple average :

Conv (many per click) = 11 , but Cost / Conv (many per click) = (20$ + 10 $ ) / 11 = 2.72 $

If the average contains a 0.006 it will be rounded to 0.01 .

Does this clarify your query ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, only Conv (many per click) and Cost/Conv (Many Per click) can be read for conversion segment. We can read all data (clicks,cost...) for other segment. I just wonder how doesn't it calculate CPA for conversion segment.....
Maybe you'r right, we do not have exact data for conversion segment...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your advice. But the example you demonstrated didn't show how CPA was calculated for conversion segment. As you see, when clicking plus icon in front of Total-all campaigns (or Total - Searhc Network), there is conversion name, such as signup/order, isn't it? And every conversion name will only have Conv (many per click) data and Cost / Conv (many per click), I just wonder how the Cost / Conv (many per click) for every conversion name but the total Cost / Conv (many per click) in account..

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hello, Yalen.

I think what you're trying to calculate is rather impossible. You have 1000 clicks, which costed you 1000 USD. For those 1000 USD you got 10 "type A" conversions and 15 "type B" conversions. However, since any visitor, from the same campaign, can register any conversion type, and sometimes both, how could the system calculate the cost for all the traffic that ended up converting in one of the two ways? How could the system split the cost? There really is no way. And unless you know the "total cost for the traffic that ended up in type A conversions", the system can only show you two things:
- the average CPA for all the traffic and all conversions
- the average CPA per conversion type, while excluding the other conversion types.

If you really want separate costs, you should split the traffic from the moment you get the click, and only allow one conversion type per traffic segment. For instance, traffic that came from "sign-up ads" can only sign up (they cannot register any other conversion). Only then you'll be able to have that degree of separation you're aiming for.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.