AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How to best analyze changes to Max. CPA

M D
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
M D
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everyone,

I was wondering: say I raised my CPA on multiple Adgroups - how can I best analyze these changes, what should I look out for the most? All ideas welcome, as always.

KR,

MD

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to best analyze changes to Max. CPA

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi MD,

As CPA would be increasing your bids when required, you can look out for a slight dip in number of clicks and a relative spike in number of conversions.

- Sumanth
Sumanth Sridhar

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi MD,

I assume you are referring to raising the max CPA of your CPA bidding strategy.

This may seem silly, but my answer would be to look out for your CPA the most.

If you are able to run at the new higher CPA and be profitable then I would suggest doing it. But keep an eye on quality of leads as well. Raising your Max CPA can in fact lower your overall CPA, as it may make you more visible (higher ad rank), or extend the scope of the auctions your are eligible for.

Also keep an eye on your ad postion, CTR and CPC. all 3 should increase, but is not necessarily the case.

Furthermore given a 'best practice' optimisation schedule it is not always easy to attribute certain factors to certain changes as you should be optimising various parts of your account simultaneously (such as ALWAYS ad testing). So these factors come into play as well.

At the end of the day. Keep your eye on your specific KPI's, that is after all what is important to you.

Hope this helps

M D
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
M D
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Clynton & Sumanth,

thanks for your replies! We did a little check of the overall changes we could spot, and it seems for most it's more or less okay. Problem was that we had multiple Adgroups in 6 different campaigns were CPA bidding had been manually changed (usually higher), but after checking (among others of course also CTR/CPC as suggested), it appears 5/6 are doing very well right now.

Hasn't been changed for too long, so we'll look into it weekly.

I just thought if there's any important warnings, it'd be nice to know about Smiley Happy

Thanks again.

Have a great day!

M

M D
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
M D
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
*where

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
You should look at the Top Movers report in your Dimensions tab to see where the biggest changes (good and bad) are happening in your account, and it should give you a clear view of all the key metrics for those campaigns, and you will know how it is affecting things.

M D
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
M D
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey David, forgot to say: thanks for the tip. The only thing I personally miss in the Top Movers report is more control over periods you wish to look at. But for a quick (& recent) overview, it's definitely worth taking a look at. So again, thanks!