AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How to avoid repeat/fraud Adwords clicks from suspicious IP?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

So far I'm checking every day our hosting account and see what Ip addresses are suspicious or potentially can be a fraud, and then I move these address to the exclusion list.

I know I may be blocking some good valid Ip addresses but if I won't do that every time when we increase our daily budget we get so many clicks from the same Ip addresses. 

I understand that when you increase your daily budget, you would increase the quantity of clicks. I don't mind to pay for clicks but I don't want to pay twice for any of clicks, or for any clicks that generated outside of my geographic location or the clicks that already been placed on the excluded list.

So I'm looking for a solution for that.

The best solution will be some kind of filter, that only except one click from one IP address, and only from Ip addresses that are located in the geographic area that I choose. 

Also, I noticed that I have a lot of clicks from Google Ip addresses, How I can manage those clicks? Are they valid clicks? sometimes I have a few clicks from one google ip addresses

Thank you for any of your suggestions 

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Atlanta T
September 2015

Re: How to avoid repeat/fraud Adwords clicks from suspicious IP?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Atlanta T.

I found this about that IP:

"It's feedburner. Each time one of your subscriber's rss reader requests an update google crawls the feed they are subscribed to. Also included in the information is how many subscribers the reuqest is for."

Do you have an RSS feed on your site? Do these request come in with a gclid value in the query string? Do they come with google.com or doubleclick.com referrer, or is the referrer data empty? It's very unlikely this feed burner "clicked" on your ad, and that's the only way you get charged. A hit not the result of a click but carrying the gclid value will be attributed to AdWords by Analytics, but not by AdWords. So, no, these hits don't count as AdWords clicks if the referrer data is empty.

You can go through your web logs manually and pick out what you believe is evidence of click fraud or invalid clicks and present that to Google along with a request for credit. I'd suggest you first add the invalid click data column to your campaign views to see how many invalid clicks Google thinks you are getting first. Two clicks from the same IP is not unusual in the case of comparison shopping. More than that in a short period of time becomes suspicious.

I'm not aware of any programs that can do the web log analysis for you. There might be something out there.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi Daniel,

First, the invalid click data column. This is only available at the campaign level, as far as I know. When you're on the campaign tab, click on "Customize columns". Find the invalid click column and add it.

Your web logs should be something like this unless you have customized them:
IP address
Date and time
The request (including the query string and the gclid)
Status code
Size (number of bytes returned)
Referrer
User Agent

You should see "gclid" as part of the request for all AdWords clicks. There will also be a referrer for all AdWords clicks. This can be a few different domains, including one identifiable as Google or doubleclick.com. If you don't use doubleclick, referrals will come from a google domain. If a request in your logs doesn't include both the gclid value and referral data as such, you are not charged for those.

Pete

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Atlanta T,

Google does pretty well at detecting invalid clicks, but that doesn't always prevent invalid clicks from using up your daily budget. Getting credit later doesn't really help this.

There's no way to prevent your search ad from appearing to the same ip address, and no way to filter to get only one click from one IP address.

If you are getting clicks from outside your target area and you don't want them, check the setting under geo-targeting for the campaign. It should say "People in my area only", not "People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my targeted location (recommended)", and not "People searching for or viewing pages about my targeted location".

Those "clicks" from Google IP addresses, do they show the user agent as either Googlebot or google-adsbot? Those pageviews don't count.

That's the best I can do for you.

Best of Luck!

Pete

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Pete

Thank you very much for your respond.
I'm gonna try to adjust location settings. I was playing with it before as well.

I heard that people are using some kind of metrics on their web-sites that catch every click from google adwords, and then they dispute those transaction with Google. I have no any proof if it is exsited or not. Do you know anything about it?

Also in regards clicks from Google Ip, I'm getting something like that 66.249.89.115 United States California Mountain View Google Inc. These kind of clicks do not count???

Thank you
Daniel
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Atlanta T.

I found this about that IP:

"It's feedburner. Each time one of your subscriber's rss reader requests an update google crawls the feed they are subscribed to. Also included in the information is how many subscribers the reuqest is for."

Do you have an RSS feed on your site? Do these request come in with a gclid value in the query string? Do they come with google.com or doubleclick.com referrer, or is the referrer data empty? It's very unlikely this feed burner "clicked" on your ad, and that's the only way you get charged. A hit not the result of a click but carrying the gclid value will be attributed to AdWords by Analytics, but not by AdWords. So, no, these hits don't count as AdWords clicks if the referrer data is empty.

You can go through your web logs manually and pick out what you believe is evidence of click fraud or invalid clicks and present that to Google along with a request for credit. I'd suggest you first add the invalid click data column to your campaign views to see how many invalid clicks Google thinks you are getting first. Two clicks from the same IP is not unusual in the case of comparison shopping. More than that in a short period of time becomes suspicious.

I'm not aware of any programs that can do the web log analysis for you. There might be something out there.

Pete

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello,

I dont think that I have any RRS feed, those clicks most likely come from google.com. I dont think I ever heard before about doubleclick.com. What is that? I would love to learn more about it. Yeah, I already checked again those clicks, it looks like I have been charged for them but it is so many of them. Futhermore, I already submitted Google request to check my account fot any supsicious clicks. Let's see if they will be able to find anything.

Thank you for all your good tips

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Atlanta T,

When someone clicks on your ad, the referrer data will show either google.com or doubleclick.com. If you have auto-tagging enabled, clicks on your ad will carry the gclid name/value pair in the query string.

You can get hits from a bookmark that has the gclid name/value pair in the query string. You are not charged for those. You can get visits from the AdWords bot that carry the gclid name/value pair. You are not charged for those. Neither of these type hits will have referrer data. If you're looking at your logs and you see a suspicious IP address showing multiple hits to your landing pages, look for the referrer data. It should be at or near the end of the log entry line. If that referrer data doesn't show at all, or if it doesn't show either google.com or doubleclick.com, you are not being charged for those.

Also, when looking at your logs, are you counting only requests that include the gclid?

Did you add the invalid click data column to your campaigns? That will show you how many invalid clicks have been detected and credited back to your account.

Best of Luck!

Pete

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Pete,

Ok thank you for detail explanation. In regards your questions, when I'm looking at my logs, I can't really define if it is gclid or not but I'm trying to count only gclid.
In regards invalid click data column, can you tell me more about that? How I can add this data??? I havent tried this yet. I only add all potentional invalid Ip addresses to our campaign IP exclusion list.
Thank you,
Daniel
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi Daniel,

First, the invalid click data column. This is only available at the campaign level, as far as I know. When you're on the campaign tab, click on "Customize columns". Find the invalid click column and add it.

Your web logs should be something like this unless you have customized them:
IP address
Date and time
The request (including the query string and the gclid)
Status code
Size (number of bytes returned)
Referrer
User Agent

You should see "gclid" as part of the request for all AdWords clicks. There will also be a referrer for all AdWords clicks. This can be a few different domains, including one identifiable as Google or doubleclick.com. If you don't use doubleclick, referrals will come from a google domain. If a request in your logs doesn't include both the gclid value and referral data as such, you are not charged for those.

Pete

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Pete,

Thank you very much, I didnt know about invalid click column before, It is a cool feature.
My is showing now 7 invalid licks for past 30 days. It would be nice to see these clicks Ip adresses.

In regards web log, this info I should find on my server account, right? because I have smiliar information on my server account, except these fields: The request (including the query string and the gclid); Referrer; User Agent.
On my server account is showing Ip address, date, size and etc

Thank you
Daniel