AdWords
3K members online now
3K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How to Tell if my AdWords manager is doing a bad job

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Recently I've been doing some research on our AdWords campaigns efficiency, and I've seen that since June/July timeframe, which is also when our account manager left the company we hired and a new person was brought on board, we have gotten fewer conversions, and our CPA has increased, which hurts our quality score and thus our visibility.  Not a result that I'd like to see as someone paying a company to manage our campaigns.  We've tried a few things to combat this including adjusting bids for different keywords, adding new keywords, targeting demographics, we even tried increasing our budget to see if we'd get a positive result in more conversions, but nothing seems to be work.

I'm trying to find potential things that stand out in what could be hurting our campaigns, and ultimately make a decision on whether we need someone else to manage our PPC or not.  Communication with our current provider has been good, but it could be better.  They are searching for more clients, which is the reason fir my worry that we aren't getting the attention we need.

Some feedback we've received from other PPC management companies, and even SEO companies, is that we have the bones of the structure but it looks like we are on a set it and forget it route, which doesn't work well for the niche market we are in.  

2 Expert replyverified_user

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

One thing to keep in mind is that when "major changes" are made to good-size Google AdWords campaigns, especially structural changes, often the kpi's will move in the wrong direction for a while.  So just a month or two usually isn't enough to gauge the real impact.  I would be looking at what's been done and talk to the agency about the shift.  It might be that they are doing good work.  Maybe not, but it's something to take into consideration.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Tyler L,

Just dropping in to add a short note. 

"... we have gotten fewer conversions, and our CPA has increased, which hurts our quality score and thus our visibility ..."

Please kindly be advised that the number of conversions you accrue or an increase in your CPA values do not have an impact on your quality score or reach and frequency. That's because conversion related metrics are determined by user actions taken by them when they are already on your website.

In other respects, I agree with the thoughtful points made by @Steve B.

Best,

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

thing is, it has been moving in a bad direction since the middle of the year, which has seasonally been a hot time for our services yet after June we saw a significant decrease in the number of clicks, while the cost for them began rocketing up more and more.  I know some of our competitors have followed suit and have begun adwords campaigns for themselves, but could they have really affected the bids so much that we've seen a $400 increase to monthly adwords spend?  It's been concerning...

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Tyler,

Competition can have a major effect on ad campaigns, and it is a hard thing to measure. A competitor offering an amazing deal in their ads can affect your CTR and sales, but there is no evidence for this in your AdWords account.

You can look at Details > Auction Insights for different months to see an overview of your competitors affect, but it is only part of the story.

One factor usually outside of your manager's control is conversion rate. Look to see if this has dropped, as that could indicate problems with your site or offerings.

Finally, it is true that many agencies set and forget. Contact a different agency that offers a free audit and see what they say. In my experience well over half of "professionally managed" accounts are poorly run.

Of check these yourself -  a well managed account should have:

All conversion points tracked

New extended ads

All applicable ad extensions

Negative keywords regularly added

New ad copy regularly tested

Look at you entire account at campaign, ad group and keyword level, over a long period, and see if any have spent substantially more than what a conversion is worth to you, without converting.