AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How to I create and apply unique URLs with manual tags (i.e. utm) at a keyword level within Adwords?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When someone applies at our website we want to track precisely where they come from - a fundamental business need I guess. We will then store these values in our database against the sale record for analysis later.

We want to do this using a common url tag format that will be something like:

www.ourdomain.com/apply/?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=christmas&utm_term=christmas_jumpers&utm_content=textad2

For website reasons we can't rely on auto tagging.

This is the same general format we've used in Facebook Ads and Bing Ads. However, I am struggling to find out how to do this in Google Adwords. I need to be able to do it easily across 000s of keywords. So, can it be done in a spreadsheet and uploaded or even in Adwords editor? Preferably of course it would be great if there were a means to do this directly in Adwords itself.

Any help is solving this issue would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

David

1 Expert replyverified_user

How to I create and apply unique URLs with manual tags (i.e. utm) at a keyword level within Adwords?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

This can be done in Adwords Editor or an Excel spreadsheet. If the utm codes are specific to each adgroup and/or keyword, you should do this in excel with a formula to replace each term. (https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2477116?hl=en)

If you want to use Excel you can export keywords in bulk through the Adwords Editor by going to the keywords tab either at an account level, campaign level, or adgroup level. Then click the Account drop-down menu at the top left and select Export>Current View (or whichever you prefer), and this will export all your keywords into an excel spreadsheet that includes all of the columns that you need to change for keywords, such as Final URL.

Once you add the tracking parameters to each keyword in Excel, you can then import the spreadsheet under the Accounts drop-down menu, or you can copy everything in the spreadsheet and then click on "Make Multiple Changes", then paste the information in there. (https://support.google.com/adwords/editor/answer/56501?hl=en)

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi David,

You can use Value Track values to fill in the keyword (utm_term): {keyword}, utm_content: {creative}, utm_campaign: {campaignid}.

Your tracking template would look something like this:

www.ourdomain.com/apply/?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign={campaignid}&utm_term={keyword}&utm_content={creative}

More info and a list of available Value Track values, https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6305348

Source (Google) and medium (CPC) should be set with literal values. Campaignid and Creative will return id numbers. You'll have to translate those on your end.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dave S
November 2016

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Guys, thanks very much for your prompt responses. I will give them a go and see if it solves my problem.

David