AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How many clicks does the first ad at the top get vs. the second one?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am coming up second in the ads above the organic listings and I would like to know if I should try to get tp the top one

6 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How many clicks does the first ad at the top get vs. the second on

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Chris P,

Good question. A better question is how are your clicks converting in the second top position? CTR is important in that it partially determines what your clicks will cost, but conversion is where the money is. How is your ROI doing?

Generally speaking, if you're turning a profit and your margins allow it, you can increase your bids or your budget to get a few more conversions, but not always. What is the average position? Is it less than 2? Less than 2 indicates it shows in a top position part of the time.

That's a bunch of questions for you and no answers. Sorry about that!

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi there;

My personal opinion (though I have not seen a full comprehensive study on about that), is that the "race for the first slot" by increasing the bid over the competitor's bid, is just a matter of ego, and is not justified either by budget or by conversions.

More important, in my view, is to get your ad shown with sitelinks. Sitelinks gives the ad a real "presence" on the SERP.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

No no it is not Ego , it is "Branding" Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Sorry, Adrian, I disagree - Moshe is right - it's ego... if you wanted to do branding then you're use the GDN and get your logo and strap line all over the place.

Search is about traffic and conversions and, as others have said, there is often a premium to pay for the top spot that is simply not justified by the return on investment.

Many campaigns are very sensitive - and there is going to be a sweet spot where the cost per click and the conversion rate meet to give the best return. This is often not the top position simply because so many advertisers get into a spitting contest and the cost of the top spot is too high to be cost effective.

This will become even more ferocious as the image extensions are rolled out - since only to top spot will have the images so more people will bid hard to get them.

This in turn will mean that we will all have to pay more and more for the rest of the ad slots - and for no added benefit - as we will not see images on our ads.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
To answer the OP - test. Use experiments in AdWords to push up the bids on a proportion of your traffic and see how that affects a) your average position and b) your cost per conversion.

Using experiments allows you to see in real time the impact of your bids.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Chris,

My personal experience with Google ad position is that although it's good if you are able to keep your ad on top of the organic results, but not always it's a good converting position for you. There are many times I have seen that your ad gets good conversions to the right side as compared to the ads on top positions.

So it's better to first look at how you are converting and at which position you are getting the best for your business. Simply increasing the bid to strive for top ad position sometimes leads to higher average CPC. So it's better to first analyse it from ROI perspective and then work accordingly for your best converting position on Google.

My thoughts!

Pankaj

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

@Steve, the smiley face meant : kidding

I would like to teach him a more thorough approach to this problem, where he learns to use the advanced segments.

The first thing to do is to navigate in analytics in the Advertising / Adwords / Keywords tab. Next we create 8 segments for every "ad slot position" ( not just "ad slot" ) like this :

ad_slot_position_2.png

Now we can only display 4 advanced segments at a time so this is a print-screen with the click distribution for one of my search campaigns with the time frame = 30 days ( just subjective data that might not apply to you ) :

click-distribution-set1.png

click-distribution-set2.png

Of course you can combine this with conversion data in the advanced segment rule.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Sorry Adrian.... I think I misplaced my sense of humor earlier... I've found it again and now understand your post!

Interesting approach on using the advanced segments for position. I'm going to have to investigate as it might be worth starting with 1&2, 3, 4&5, 6+ or similar for broader brush strokes - then they could be viewed at once....

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
The avg. pos. in the adwords interface for converting words only shows the position of the impressions which are deceiving because clicks have different positions .