AdWords
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How is Call Duration Calculated?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

How does Adwords calculate the call duration? When the forwarding number is setup and calls are placed, you can look at the call details and see the duration of the call. How does google calculate the duration?

Does it start the timer when the phone starts ringing or when someone picks up the phone?

Does it count as a call ending if they're put on hold?

If they get connected to voicemail does it count that? 

I have a client that gets tons of calls coming through the ad and then through manual click-to-call on the site as well, but the vast majority of these calls are below 10 seconds despite the fact that they have numerous people manning the phones and don't hang up on people. 

I've been trying to figure out what is creating these short-duration calls, and I haven't been able to find any good information.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How is Call Duration Calculated?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Collin;
To my knowledge duration is measured from the second the call is answered (because missed calls are also reported)
Could it be that once the call is connected, the automated system on the client's side is delayed, and the user hangs up?
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454052?hl=en
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
That seems unlikely as the phone calls are picked up by a person and not a machine.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Could be that the calls are disconnected at when there is a peak of calls?
A monitoring system that also records the calls is a not an expensive service these days (less than $100 per month). If I were the owner I would record the calls to figure this.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’