AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How fo tind the keywords which are hidden behind "not set" tag?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I linked my GA account with Google Adwords two weeks back. But still, in my GA it is showing the visits from PPC as "not set" I don't see the keywords which triggered to a click in my Ads.

Any help?

Thank you.

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Re: How fo tind the keywords which are hidden behind "not set" tag?

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

Hello Amjath, 

In addition to the tips mentioned previously, I would also suggest referencing this help center article. It covers a checklist of the things you want to take a look at when you're seeing (not set) in your Analytics reports. 

What I also want to note in addition to the article is the following:

- Make sure that your Analytics tracking code is set up properly!

- Make sure that your AdWords and Analytics accounts are actually linked - just because you click on the Tools & Analysis tab to Analytics in AdWords & you can see the Analytics interface does not always 100% mean that your AdWords and Analytics accounts are linked together. To do this, 

1. Sign in to your Analytics account at http://www.google.com/analytics/.
  2. Find the account that you want to edit the cost source settings for. From the upper right corner, click the Admin tab.
  3. On the Account Administration page, select the account you would like to check. 
  4. Click on Data Sources
  5. You'll see a table titled AdWords Cost Sources linked to (name of your Analytics Account here). In this table, you should see your AdWords Customer ID. If you do not see anything, then your AdWords account and Analytics account are not actually linked. (Linking instructions here)

- In order to see your cost data/source settings (mentioned in the first article linked), you can follow the instructions below -

2. Find the account that you want to edit the cost source settings for. From the upper right corner, click the Admin tab.
  3. On the Account Administration page, select the account you would like to check. 
  4. Select the specific property. 
  5. Under the profiles tab, click on Profile Settings
  6. Make sure the box under AdWords Cost Source Settings is checked. 

In the future, I would recommend that you post Analytics related questions in the Analytics Help Forum - not only will this give you a entire audience that is Analytics focused, but it might also help you receive a faster response!

Hope this helps,

Tiffany

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Amjath,

The most common reason for this is not having auto-tagging enabled.  This is something quick and easy to check on.

There is a quick how-to here:  http://support.google.com/googleanalytics/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=55590

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

That URL sharing was helpful!

As mentioned in the article, I checked and the Auto-tagging is already enabled for me. But why don't I see the keywords then?

Please show me some light on this.

Thanks,

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

What kind of language is your site in?  Program language.....

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Are you not seeing any keywords?

Many may be marked as "not set" due to SSL search if you are advertising in US.

In Germany, SSL search is only enabled for logged-in users.

As others said an issue to prevent this is enable adwords to append the keyword to the destination URL.

What might also work is to buy an SSL certificate for your site. Since SSL->SSL does not break referres as SSL->non-SSL does.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

Hello Amjath, 

In addition to the tips mentioned previously, I would also suggest referencing this help center article. It covers a checklist of the things you want to take a look at when you're seeing (not set) in your Analytics reports. 

What I also want to note in addition to the article is the following:

- Make sure that your Analytics tracking code is set up properly!

- Make sure that your AdWords and Analytics accounts are actually linked - just because you click on the Tools & Analysis tab to Analytics in AdWords & you can see the Analytics interface does not always 100% mean that your AdWords and Analytics accounts are linked together. To do this, 

3. On the Account Administration page, select the account you would like to check. 
  4. Click on Data Sources
  5. You'll see a table titled AdWords Cost Sources linked to (name of your Analytics Account here). In this table, you should see your AdWords Customer ID. If you do not see anything, then your AdWords account and Analytics account are not actually linked. (Linking instructions here)

- In order to see your cost data/source settings (mentioned in the first article linked), you can follow the instructions below -

3. On the Account Administration page, select the account you would like to check. 
  4. Select the specific property. 
  5. Under the profiles tab, click on Profile Settings
  6. Make sure the box under AdWords Cost Source Settings is checked. 

In the future, I would recommend that you post Analytics related questions in the Analytics Help Forum - not only will this give you a entire audience that is Analytics focused, but it might also help you receive a faster response!

Hope this helps,

Tiffany