AdWords
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How far we can rely on Top of page bid

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi There,

Something terribly puzzled me! 

This literally resulted my client jumped off his chair with a jaw dropping down the floor.  

Take a look a this snapshot. Pay extra attention to Top of page bid and Avg. CPC on the 1st and 2nd lines.

Top of Page Bid.PNG

Obviously, I'm paying close to 4x higher, on average than the "Top  of page bid" for keyword with Quality Score of 10 at an average CTR above 50% !

This essentially means among all the clicks I received, there are some paying even higher than the average of $8.52. 

Although I understood, the Top of page bid may be just an estimation but It shouldn't be too far out of the range.

what I am really expecting would be something like lines 3 and 4, especially for such a good Quality Score and CTR.

Does anyone know what is going on?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How far we can rely on Top of page bid

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi, Cant see the image, maybe explain in more detail.

Cheers

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I reckon some had problem viewing the image and here I converted it to a table below:

Type      Fist Page Bid   Top of Page Bid   QS   Avg. Pos   CTR         Avg. CPC

Phrase  1.50                  2.25                   10    1.0            66.67%   8.52

Phrase  2.75                  8.75                   10    1.3            66.67%   9.45

Phrase  3.00                  6.50                   10    2.7            66.67%   0.67

Phrase  0.02                  0.02                   10    1.7            66.67%   0.28

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Roman L
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

These estimates are closely tied to keyword quality scores and not tied to competition. Bidding at the"estimated" levels means your ads will be eligible to compete for first page/top of page positioning.  "Eligible to compete" is not the same thing as saying your ads will win the auction and actually appear. 

Because your competitors are bidding higher than these estimates in an attempt to get their own ads up into the profitable ad positions, the cost to access most of the available traffic is going to be higher, sometimes much higher, than these estimates.

Make sense?

I pay little or no attention to those estimates. They're not based on real-world data--your actual click costs are based on real-world data and those are what you need to be monitoring.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Roman, further to Theresa's reply, what's your Max. CPC for these Keywords?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jon,

I started the Max CPC with $5 but I had an automated rule triggered on daily basis to push it up to the top of the page.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Theresa,

Thanks for your explanation.