AdWords
5.9K members online now
5.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How does "rotate ads evenly" feature specifically work?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

this is my first question to AdWords Community. While performing statistical testing I realized that I needed to know how exactly "rotate ads evenly" feature works in order not to have biased results.

In particular, I have two doubts:

1) In my AdGroups I have different keywords with different KPIs. How do you decide which Ad to serve according to the specific keywords inside the AdGroup?

Example: Suppose I have two ads, which we call A and B, and two keywords, 1 and 2, in the same AdGroup. For simplicity we assume that both keywords generated the same number of impressions and that they only differ in CTR. Keyword 1 has a CTR of 8% and keyword 2 has a CTR of 2%. Now suppose that each ad received 50% of impressions but ad A served for 75% of the times the search terms related to keyword 1 and 25% of the times those related to keyword 2. The opposite for ad B. To better understand the example let´s leave out the real effect the ads have on the CTR and pretend it is all a matter of good keywords and bad keywords. In the end the CTR for ad A is 6,5% while the CTR for ad B is 3.5% making ad A much better in performance only because ad A served most of the time the search terms related to the best keyword.

2) In general, what is the rule you use to decide when to serve one ad and when to switch to the other? Do you switch ad every single impression (i.e. impression 1 served by ad A, impression 2 served by ad B and so on)? Do you switch according to the specific keywords in the adgroup? Do you switch according to time (i.e. every minute, every hour and so on)?

For statistical purposes it would make a difference to know this both because there can be seasonality factors affecting performance on an intra-daily basis (for example some hours of the day are more likely to favor clicks than others) and because the goodness of the keyword in capturing search terms itself changes from keyword to keyword, in the end affecting the overall performance independently from how good the ad is.

Hoping my question is clear enough I wish you a great day!

Enrico

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How does "rotate ads evenly" feature specifically work?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Enrico

This is a nice question;

Basically, AdWords lets the best performing ads appear: optimized for clicks or for conversions. (As you choose.)

I like to do one of the following:

Rotate them evenly, and find which one performs better;.

OR

Run an experiment and find which ad is statistically significant performing better. (i.e the difference in performance is statistically meaningful.)

Read more:

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi MosheTLV,

thanks for the reply but I already know how the different settings work. My question is more related to the logic behind the specific setting "rotate ads evenly". In particular, for statistical purposes, I am interested in what does "evenly" mean according to Google.

Example: I have two ads and two keywords:

1) Do ads rotate evenly according to impressions?

Impression 1 served by ad A;

Impression 2 served by ad B;

Impression 3 served by ad A;

Impression 4 served by ad B.

2) Do ads rotate evenly according to time (seconds, minutes, hours and so on)?

Minute 1 served by ad A

Minute 2 served by ad B

Minute 3 served by ad A

Minute 4 served by ad B

3) Do ads rotate according to the keywords inside the AdGroup?

Keyword 1 - Impression 1 served by ad A

Keyword 1 - Impression 2 served by ad B

Keyword 2 - Impression 1 served by ad A

Keyword 2 - Impression 2 served by ad B

4) If none of the above, what is the logic?

Thanks a lot,

Enrico

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Enrico F
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Enrico,

I don't know exactly how Google determines Ad Rotation and I doubt that anyone here other than a Google employee does either.  However, I do know that it's not simply a case of attempting to show Ads evenly in terms of impressions - although it can appear to be so.  I'm also very certain that it will be nowhere near as simple as any of your three models.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Enrico F
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

I agree with Jon;

The only available info is that even rotation is based on impressions. My experience shows that "even rotation " is not quite "even": the system still gives some "extra impressions" for the better performing ads.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Jon.

The concept of "evenly" is itself very simple so I don´t think there is an extremely complex model behind. However, even in case there was, I would still remain interested in the answer to my question. So, should you have any valuable information about it please let me know.

Enrico

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

True, the share of impressions is not 100% even and this is one of the reasons why I asked this question. Thank you very much to both of you for replying Smiley Happy