AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How does adwords converison tracking work for affliate websites?

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

Hi,

Historically, I've used quick redirect "bounce" pages for my affiliate links (pretty standard mysite.com/recommended.php?url=affiliatelink type stuff) -- and put the AdWords conversion script on the "recommended.php" page. Basically since I can't directly record conversions on the merchants' sites, this lets me know which keywords result in the most affiliate click-throughs. Obviously not a perfect system but gives a general idea of what keywords are performing.

But then I was thinking how incredibly idiotic it is to literally TELL GOOGLE that what I consider a "conversion" is sending a customer off-site. Sure, the pages provide value or else I wouldn't be around, but I can easily see how this would meet their definition of a bridge page.

Help! What should I do instead? Many thanks for your help!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How does adwords converison tracking work for affliate websites?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
One possible alternative would be to add a Google Analytics event on the link/button that users click to go to the other site. This could then be used as a goal in GA and imported back into Adwords as a conversion... I do this with one of my restaurant clients whose reservation system is on a third party site that does not report back. As you say this does not take into account the abandoners, but it does give us enough information to be in a position to determine which ads/keywords drive the click through.

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
Thanks a lot Stickeback.
But there is one thing that is still confusing me? Can you please tell me how to import the Goal Data from GA to Adwords?

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Sayem M

Importing Analytics goals as conversions to your AdWords Account is much easier than to create an AdWords conversion (https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034306?hl=en&ref_topic=1308612)

Just klik the Tools & Analysis tab, click conversions and you will find an automated suggestion to import Analytics goals into your AdWords account (https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375435?hl=en).

But don't forget: The accounts must be connected and there should be more than 15 goals in last 30 days!

P.S. Maybe the Analytics utm_nooverride tag could help you to measure everything in Analytics

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner
Thanks a lot Sir Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Provided you have your GA and Adwords account correctly linked the goals will automatically become available for import within the conversions tab in Adwords. It used to be the case that there had to have been a few conversions from AdWords traffic before it became available for import, but as fa as I recall this was changed recently and they become available almost immediately.... I must confess I don't know if I've seen this myself....