AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How does Google calculate Quartile Reporting for Youtube Video Campaign?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Say for instance, i got 2500 view from youtube video and the the break up is

My Video played to 25%: 53% 

My Video played to 50%: 33%

My Video played to 75% : 27%

My Video played to 100% : 23%

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Eric (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: How does Google calculate Quartile Reporting for Youtube Video Campaign?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi OnlineMktg,

The metric play rate indicates how often your ad's video was played compared to how often the ad was shown. In other words, it is a ratio that calculates the number of plays your video ad receives divided by its impressions (the number of times your video ad is shown). In you case the playrate is probably high. (You did not specify the number of impressions though.)

Quartiles are % completion of views which may be 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100%.

E.g. the 50% (playbacks through 50% of the video) column, for example, will display the percentage number of playbacks that reached at least halfway through the video. Keep in mind that because people may skip to different sections of the video, percent playback numbers won't always decline linearly. In your case the 50% metric is 33%.

For more information, please study the help page linked-to below.

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2375431&topic=1713970&path=1714057-1713...

Best,

Lakatos

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Quartiles is % of views and not % of Impressions. Also mentioned in this article: http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2375431&topic=1713970&path=1714057-1713...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
@Lakatos: He is referring to Quartile Reporting not Play Rate. Quartile is % of views.

Re: How does Google calculate Quartile Reporting for Youtube Video Cam

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

There is a difference between 'Average view duration' in Youtube Analytics and 'Quartile reporting' in Adwords reporting. 'Average view duration' in Youtube Analytics is based on views (more than 30 seconds) but Quartile reporting in Adwords is based on impressions and not on views. 

In your case you should look at the number of impressions instead of views. For instance, if you have generated 10.000 impressions and 2.500 views you should make the following calculation for Quartile Reporting:

video played to 25%: 53% of 10.000 = 5.300

video play to 50%: 33% of 10.000 = 3.300

and so on...

That makes perfect sense, because you could have a video that is only 40 seconds long. In that case 25% would only be 10 seconds and because 10 seconds is less than 30 seconds that is not counted as a 'view'.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
@bramvdh: so to clarify, is it TOTAL impressions or VIDEO impressions, when in the TrueView platform?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Theresa, I'm talking about the TrueView skippable in-stream format, so that would be total video impressions meaning every impression of 5 seconds or more.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey bramvdh,

How does this differ for In-Search & In-Display ad formats? Are the Quartile based on video impressions as well or are these based on video views?

Thanks
Ed

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Ted,

For In-Display and In-Search the Quartiles report is calculated on the number of 'views'. For these types of ads the 'impressions' aren't real video plays, but instead it is the total count of 'thumbnail' impressions of your ads. And even if a user doesn't click on the ad result, an 'impression' will still be counted.

Let me give you one more case to clarify my explanation:

I have uploaded a video that has a total duration of 60 seconds. Therefore people should watch at least 50% of my video to be counted as a 'view' (30 seconds or more).
My video has only 20 'views', but it generated 9000 'impressions'. Because my video is only 60 seconds long I should start looking at the Quartiles columns of 50% or more to see the number of real 'views' (that is of course if your video is longer than 30 seconds, else the end of the video will be counted as a view).

My Quartiles report shows me that 60% has watched 50% of my video.
60% of 9000 'impressions' would be 5400 'views', but instead the report only shows '20' views.

Therefore, the correct calculation should be:
60% of '20 views' completed 50% of the video duration, in this case '12'.

Grtz,
Bram