AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How do you research PPC outcomes for a new prospect?

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

Hi,

I've always been curious.

If someone comes up to you and says: "I'm a plumber. I need to run an Adwords campaign. Please help me. How many clients can I expect to get daily?". 

What would you do next? 

1) I'll need to look into that and then I'll let you know what can be done.

2) Oh, sure. Why not?

If you're going with #1. What do you do next?

It would be great if you guys list your methods. I think this would be a thread for years to come. Smiley Happy

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How do you research PPC outcomes for a new prospect?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Mark.
There's way too many variables. Nobody can guarantee results, especially if you don't have control of the landing page or conversion process.

Google can give estimated keyword volume but effectively, it's trial and error from the beginning.

It's like asking an accountant who cannot see your books, how much profit your company will make in 2018.

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
Fine, I'll bite - What about just approximations? Smiley Happy

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Mark H,

Dave is on the money with this one. There are never any guarantees and if any account manager tells you otherwise my advice is to run as fast as you can.

You can make projections and estimations, but this is all dependant on the information you are able to gather.

You can get an idea of the traffic from the keyword planner and google trends. You can then speculate on CTR and Conversion rates. Obviously with more information the more accurate your projection. Perhaps you have worked on the vertical before and have an idea of expected CTR or perhaps you can get in touch withyour google rep (if you have one) and he may be able to help you out with vertical standards.

Otherwise you will just have to make tables showing what each level of CTR and Conversion rate will give you.

Always try and be conservative as even if you are confident you can achieve high end projections you just never know, and there are many factors that could take time to change such as landing page or even client influence in the account itself. Plus when you out perform your projections it looks especially good Smiley Tongue.

In short, use whatever tools you can to get as much information you can but never make promises always make projections, at best you can talk of expectations but always make it clear that these numbers are not set in stone.

Hope this helps

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner
Gotcha - but what about steps in researching a client?