AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How do you guys measure conversions made over the phone?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Simple as it sounds, i've already installed conversion tracking, but when it comes to nail it down to keyword level (or at very best to matched search queries), i'm unable to assign which phone conversions came from which Keyword?

What do you use there? software? or, did i install something improperly?

Let me know buds.

Re: How do you guys measure conversions made over the phone?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey JaybTiger,

Do you have AdWords conversion tracking installed on a phone number? If so, this will only work on mobile optimized websites. Do you have a mobile specific/responsive website?

What I will typically do when trying to track phone calls is develope a stand alone landing page which has a unique phone number listed (many call forwarding services out there - ifbyphone.com, Google Call forwarding, etc.) I will then send AdWords traffic only to this particular page, which no one else can get to. You can then download call reports from whatever service you are using and assume that all calls came from AdWords since this is the only traffic source reaching the page.

Have you installed Click-to-Call ad extensions? This is a feature that allows you to append a phone number onto your ads, which clicks can be tracked through the AdWords interface. If not using a Google Forwarding number, then the extension only works when appearing on mobile devices and not desktops.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,

BI

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Again no answer!

I cant create a Caller only landing page since i operate an ecommerce site with 100's of pages.

#2 i dont want to integrate Click to call extensions for that.

Now what?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I use a company called AdInsight. They provide call tracking compatible with Analytics goal conversions, which means you can set it as an AdWords conversion! It auto generates a number for each visitor, It's very clever the way it works. Check out their website:http://www.adinsight.com/

Should be what your looking for :-)

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Well this company sounds quiet interesting, How does it work? and do they really differ from all those Call tracking companies out there? and finally is it worth the money?

Anyone else?

(Does really nobody have this issue?)

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Jay,

"(Does really nobody have this issue?)"

Everybody has this issue and it's realising you have this issue that is key to success. Not many people take it into account and to be honest I couldn't be without call tracking now. So many people like to pick up the telephone and speak to a real person, especially if they are big orders (asking for discount etc.) and I think it's vital to know what keywords are driving those valuable phone calls.

"is it worth the money?"

It's a bit costly, but if you have a big AdWords budget the money you can save using the data to optimise your campaigns can seriously out-weigh the costs. Personally I wouldn't advise call tracking unless your getting at least 5 - 10,000 clicks a month and a decent amount of phone calls.

" and do they really differ from all those Call tracking companies out there? " - There isn't another company that I've seen like AdInsight. It really is unique :-)

Here's a couple of print screens from analytics/adinsight to give you a better idea of it.

(I should be sending them a link to this and asking for commision! lol)

http://bossbuild.co.uk/adinsight.jpg

http://bossbuild.co.uk/telephone-calls.jpg

I'm not entirely sure how it works, but I know it generates a different number depending on which source you came to the website from. So if you visit through one keyword it shows a certain number and if you visit through another keyword it shows a different number. After the customer hangs up, you can also press 1 or 2 to record if it was a sale or a lead, and if it was a sale you can then enter the value!

You'll have to call them and ask them to explain exactly how it works because the technology behind it is quite complex. It does track phone calls right down to the exact keyword and search engine though, or any other source, and it's very easy to intergrate it into Google Analytics.

Hopefully that's the sort of thing you are looking for and sorry I can't really show you any other alternatives, I honestly haven't found any others with such in depth data reporting. As I said, it is quite expensive so it's only worth it if you have quite a big AdWords budget.

All the best

Spike

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
P.s. sorry about the scribbling out on the images, I don't want to give anything identifiable away about the data.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey Bossbuild-SEO,

Do you know if they offer their service in U.S.? I noticed they are based out of the UK, so not not sure if they had the capabilties to gereate U.S. based phone numbers...

Thanks,

BI

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Bluelon,

I had to call them for something today anyway and it's free for me to call them too so I asked their sales rep just now and he very excitedly told me they are rolling out services into the US later this year! :-)

They don't yet but they will!

All the best

Spike

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Pretty cool, the effort here really seems paid (kidding Smiley Happy ).

Anyhow, isn't there a way around somehow to track it with the current GA framework? goals etc. , i mean, its much more important than gender and audience identification c'mon!