AdWords
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How do you deal with invalid clicks?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Guys,

How do you deal with invalid clicks? .. If they come up in high numbers, can this be due to ad placements? Are there ad positions that drive high number of invalid clicks?
Also, how do you deal with these clicks in Analytics and other tools of reporting like playback reporting, heat maps, and more?

I feel like my data is ruined. Please advice!

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: How do you deal with invalid clicks?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Dina,

With respect to Adwords, if clicks are identified as invalid then they are filtered both from your data and payments (you won't be charged and they won't show up as clicks and or impressions).

In short they will have no effect on your account, once they are identified by the system as invalid clicks.

Learn more here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/42995?hl=en

Hope this helps

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hi Dina,

If by invalid clicks, you mean, clicks recorded due to bot activity then as Clynton has rightly mentioned, these will be identified as bot activity by AdWords and the data for the same will be erased from your account, in short, it wont hamper any data in your account ever.

And if by Invalid you mean irrelevant clicks or clicks from users who are not relevant to your targted themes, then you can only add negatives in place, negative keywords for Search & Negative Placements for a Display campaign to ensure you are only recording relevant or valid clicks in your case.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have had invalid click issues too but one point you didn't mention Shashank is spam clicking by market competitors. While this may not be the issue Dina E is dealing with, it very well could be. My ads are in the search network only and in one day, perhaps the worst, I got 8 invalid clicks. This is a real issues and there doesn't seem to be a way to really deal with it. How does Google really determine if an actual person is clicking fraudulently on a competitor's ads?

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Hi Travis,

I apologize for not making myself clear here but when I said invalid clicks I was also referring to competitor clicks to drive your costs. I should have elaborated on this but I will take this opportunity to do so now.

To answer your questions, even competitor clicks will be classified as invalid clicks by AdWords and the same cost will be refunded back to the account. AdWords classifies a click as invalid by checking if the our ads are receiving clicks from the same set of IP's.

If you want to test this theory, I suggest you ask your colleagues to repeatedly search for a variety of items on Google and you should do the same. After a point, Google will stop serving you ads and organic listings and will serve you a page that says that you will not be able to perform a search temporarily as your recent activity on Google has been deemed as suspicious.

This is just one of the forms of safeguard against bot attacks and suspicious activities on Google.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"