AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How do you actually track the Upgraded URLs?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So, I'm trying to upgrade my account to use a tracking template instead of utm tags. I've found no shortage of resources on how to set it up within AdWords, but I have yet to find ANY resources on how you can actually track them. All I've found is how to set up the URLs, which is nice, but if I can't actually track them, it's pointless. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places, but I'm getting really frustrated.

We use the AdWords API to download reports of our performance data and we used to use the destination URL report, but as those will be useless soon and we've had issues from manually tagging our AdWords ads with utm tags, we need to upgrade our URLs but I can't for the life of me find out how to do it to let our developers know what to pull from. I just need to know how to pull the clicked URL with all of the {lpurl} info in it so we can allocate the spend data based on ad in our internal database. Please help!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How do you actually track the Upgraded URLs?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Josh
That's up to the individual developer/site owner. There's no set way to do it, it completely depends on what language you use on your website and how you store the data.

It's like saying, "How do get the information that a user enters into a HTML form on my site?". It's completely up to the developer on what they do with the form data once it's passed. Same with the URL parameters. The tracking template fields are for exactly that, allowing the DEVELOPER to set the parameters in a format that makes it easy for them to collect based on their own setup.

I'd LOVE to give you a step by step on this, unfortunately, there's an infinite number of ways to do it.
I'd highly recommend speaking to your developers about this.

Alternatively, you could always just ignore all that and use Google Analytics with autotagging for the same report.

Re: How do you actually track the Upgraded URLs?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Dave_Davis wrote:
Hi Josh
That's up to the individual developer/site owner. There's no set way to do it, it completely depends on what language you use on your website and how you store the data.

It's like saying, "How do get the information that a user enters into a HTML form on my site?". It's completely up to the developer on what they do with the form data once it's passed. Same with the URL parameters. The tracking template fields are for exactly that, allowing the DEVELOPER to set the parameters in a format that makes it easy for them to collect based on their own setup.

I'd LOVE to give you a step by step on this, unfortunately, there's an infinite number of ways to do it.
I'd highly recommend speaking to your developers about this.

Alternatively, you could always just ignore all that and use Google Analytics with autotagging for the same report.

That makes total sense. I guess my real question would be how do you access that specific click data since in many cases the final url remains unchanged?  Or do we have to completely change how we track these things? I will certainly talk with the developers about this but I need to know what to have them pull in at the very least. I know we've been using SQL, we just need to know which clicks came via AdWords ads to put that spend in our database.

We use Analytics to track lots of things, but in our internal database that everyone has access to we only really need to know that a specific session was generated from AdWords so we can correctly allocate ad spend and revenue. Can this be/is this done via the AdWords API? If so, how? It just bothers me that I've found absolutely NO resources on how to gather that information. Not one single thing I've found has mentioned ANY part of actually tracking the clicks. The developer still needs to know where to start, and I'd like to at least have that basic information. I've searched all over the developer site and the AdWords help site, and I still have nothing. Even just an example of ONE possible way to do this would be incredibly helpful.