AdWords
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How do we put multiple conversion codes on Thank You (for franchisees)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am working with a company that now has franchisees.  This month we are adding the first one and this year we will add 5 franchisees.

Each will be managing PPC on a separate part of our account through My Client Center.  Each therefore has a different conversion code to track conversions related to their ads and spend.

Do I put the conversion code on our main thank you page for every franchisee?  They all have different codes but I know it'll get long/cumbersome to put all the codes on the page and I don't want Google to think that we have multiple accounts for one business.

We have one account/code per geographic area so ads will not ever be double served.

If not how do we track conversions for franchisees accounts?

Any assistance is much appreciated.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Multiple conversion codes on Thank You (for franchises)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Please don't direct me to another post that generically addresses multiple conversion codes as I've read through many other posts (and understand some of the problems and the danger of getting suspended if we are double serving).  Still I couldn't seem to find anything that specifically addresses this situation of 1 thank you page, multiple accounts in My Client Center, each paying for a separate spend, with geographically distinct areas.

I just really want some targeted info.

Re: How do we put multiple conversion codes on Thank You (for franchis

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi CaptainP,

Honestly, I'm not sure you've justified the need for multiple accounts here.  Geography alone may not be enough especially if you're targeting the same keywords and using the same site for all locations. It may be helpful if you can elaborate a bit here. I'm in blue...obviously.

captainp wrote:

I am working with a company that now has franchisees.  This month we are adding the first one and this year we will add 5 franchisees.

Each will be managing PPC on a separate part of our account through My Client Center.  Each therefore has a different conversion code to track conversions related to their ads and spend.

So your saying each new store will have their own account within your MCC and the only difference is the geography.  They're all sharing the same website?

Do I put the conversion code on our main thank you page for every franchisee? 

If you have separate sites for each franchisee, yes each site would need the conversion code for the associated account on the 'Thank You' page.  If you have one site and this is approved by Google, you would need to have all the conversion codes on the 'Thank You' Page.

They all have different codes but I know it'll get long/cumbersome to put all the codes on the page and I don't want Google to think that we have multiple accounts for one business.

Long and cumbersome to add 1-5 extra code snippets to one page?  That's not all that tough.  So is it one site or many?  You just told Google by they way.  Smiley Happy

We have one account/code per geographic area so ads will not ever be double served.

You can say this but the technicality of it is all it takes is one change in your geo-targeting and you will be double serving...Maybe you're in the right here - I can't determine that for you but one might think that you could accomplish the same with new campaigns for each location...couldn't you?  I suppose you'll find out for sure when you create the next account if you haven't already. Be warned - if one account gets suspended for policy violations, all associated accounts will be too...

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Jon_Gritton (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi captainp,

I won't go into the double-serving policy. If these are franchise accounts, it should not be a problem.

Here's my suggestion. The only differences between the conversion codes id the google_conversion_id and the google_conversion_label. The thank you page is surely created dynamically? I'm going to assume it is.

First, create a table with columns for id, the franchise(name or location), conversion_id, and conversion_label. When the visitor first hits your site, set a cookie that indicates the franchise that was advertising. You may need to set a query string value with manual tagging for all your destination URL's to do this (www.example.com/LandingPage.php?franchiseId=nnn). I would use a franchise id--the id of the row in the table. Set your cookie with the same name/value pair (franchiseId=nnn).

When the user completes the conversion, find the franchise number in the cookie, look it up in  your table, then dynamically fill the conversion_id and conversion_label (and value) and substitute those values on the thank you page. This will relieve you of need to update that page every time you add a new franchise. Two or three franchises, sure, you could just add the code for each one. AdWords will only record one conversion, in the proper account if you do that. But when your list starts to get long, running the conversion script for each franchise could adversely affect your page load time.

If the page is static, it is a bigger problem. You could do roughly the same thing using Javascript, storing the id and label values in an array of hashes. You would still set a cookie when the visitor first hits your site. I would keep the table of franchises in a separate .js file for easier maintenance.

Each franchise would need to provide you with their own conversion_id and conversion_label data after creating the conversion. Or you could use your MCC account to find those values. And, each franchise would need to properly manual-tag every destination URL for this to work.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Pete,
I have a similar situation, a few shops running their own PPC.

Situation 1 - However, the landing/success page is the same and not dynamically created
Situation 2 - my product is a "subscription" with several but different add-on types

Can you advise what is the best way to set this up? thanks!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Steven,

This is an old thread. It's better for you to start a new thread with this question.

Situation 1: With only a few shops running campaigns, you could put the AW Conversion code for each account on the page. Alternatively, define a Goal in Analytics and import that goal as a conversion for each AW account. All conversions will have the same value, whatever value is defined when importing those goals.

Situation 2: This will be a problem if the thank you page is not generated dynamically. The only way (I know of) to record a different value for each conversion is with the AW conversion code. The actual value of the sale would need to be inserted by your shopping cart software. How you do that depends on the CMS and/or shopping cart software.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Re: How do we put multiple conversion codes on Thank You (for franchisees)

Community Manager
# 7
Community Manager
This 2013 thread has been closed to new replies.

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread with a descriptive subject line, and post a clear, specific and detailed question. 

This will improve the visibility of your question as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the AdWords Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.