AdWords
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How do i set up a Negative remarketing campaign, javascript settings, for 1 click per visitor ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I recently seen a video about stopping visitors clicking more than once on adwords.

Involves setting up a negative remarketing campaign and creating javascript to make sure the advert only is seen once buy a prior visitor?

How do i do this?

I would also like to know why google doesn't have a 1 click policy even per day or a half day rather than a total ban, letting the same ip click 2-3-4-5+  times over a day is ok it seems?

My settings show 80% of clicks are none responsive or competitors clicking away and refunds are hard to come by and out of 3000+ clicks over a long period i don't think 30 ( yes 30)  are invalid as per google settings. 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How do i set up a Negative remarketing campaign, javascript settings, for 1 click per visitor ?

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

@Martin G wrote:

I would also like to know why google doesn't have a 1 click policy even per day or a half day rather than a total ban, letting the same ip click 2-3-4-5+  times over a day is ok it seems? 

I'm just going to answer this question. The answer is... because Google knows real people don't shop like that. They've got 15 years of click data to analyze, and they know that lots of searchers don't make their final "buy or not" decision on the first visit to a website.

Google users comparison shop, especially for searches that have lots of ads. They click one ad, look around the site, go back to the search results, click another ad, go back to the search results, and then sometimes go click on the first ad again because they decide it's a better deal.

And if they don't find what they want on that search, they sometimes do a similar search to see how much that changes the results. Sometimes they see an ad from the same advertisers (even the sames ads from the same advertisers) in those additional searches, and click them again.

This is normal behavior for people who are "early" in the decision-making process.

If you think online advertising is matter of "they buy on the first visit or they never buy," you're going to lose out with comparison shoppers and anybody else who wants to take time to think about their purchases.

Re: How do i set up a Negative remarketing campaign, javascript settings, for 1 click per visitor ?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@Martin g - you can setup frequency cap in campaign settings to cap frequency per user. For instance, here is an example of one of my client campaigns currently serving, with frequency cap of 5 ads per user per week per ad group, you can setup limit to be 1 per day/week/month per ad/ad group/campaign, depending on your account structure.

Example #1 (display campaign):

Screen Shot 2016-03-27 at 10.36.01.png

Example #2 (video campaign):

Screen Shot 2016-03-27 at 10.51.21.png

In addition, enable your "invalid clicks" and/or "invalid clicks rate" column; those are the clicks that are refunded to you without having to request a refund. Here is how invalid clicks are discovered and monitored: http://www.google.com/intl/en_ALL/ads/adtrafficquality/invalid-click-protection.html. You can find them via performance->invalid clicks, on campaign tab. Start there.

I've had no issues getting refunds from Google on several occasions for various clients over the course of the years, however, last refund was about a year ago. You just need clear info that proves your case.

Google allows more than 1 click on your ads, but they only charge you for one click, so let your competition click away.

What do you mean by non-responsive clicks? Pages per session? Lack of conversions? 100% bounce rate? - Double check if your visitors have a good way to click-through to your site from your LPs, should they seek more info than what's found on the landing page. If not, visitors clicking a back button and searching for you by the brand will report as a 100% bounce rate. There are many reasons visitors may look like they aren't responsive, while they're in fact interested and are considering your product/service for purchase. By not serving to them you may lose more than gain. I am not saying don't block IPs that are multiple-clicking your ads, but consider all data carefully before you conclude foul play.

Julia Muller,
AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

@Julia_Muller wrote:

Google allows more than 1 click on your ads, but they only charge you for one click, so let your competition click away.

Actually, they charge for up to 2 clicks per ad-instance. https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375444?hl=en#impressions

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

@Julia_Muller the OP is talking about search campaigns, and then setting up a neg RLSA.  There is no frequency capping for search.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Julia,

Thanks for that, i'll give it a try!

id rather not let the competition click away, lol, its easy click 2x then go back a few mins later and do it again or do it over a whole day as frequently happens google doesnt bother about that.

Ive sent info before to google with screen shots and 9/10 it's apparently normal human behaviour.

One of the worst ones was when i never kept and eye on stats and found the same iP had clicked me 2-5 times a week over a 3 month period. totally crazy when a Ip limiter would have sorted that out and it wasn't a static ip is was a private individuals ip address.

Heres 3 clicks i was charged for on 25th, the 1-2 click block would stop this easy made profit - this is not normal behavour

/?gclid=CIOEwtLC28sCFbQV0wodIZMHjQ www.google.co.uk page SL: 1535 / PS: 1970 03-25-16 10:27 am
/?gclid=CMyr3-6828sCFSQW0wodBAkGYQ www.google.co.uk page SL: 1484 / PS: 1819 03-25-16 10:01 am
/?gclid=CPCeyc-828sCFVIYGwodb3kMnw www.google.co.uk page SL: 1705 / PS: 2588 03-25-16 10:00 am

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Julia

i'll give that a try thanks,

Let competition click away i don't think so lol. Google charges for every click unless its clicked in a tapping the mouse manner! You'll get away with 1-2 min gaps as far as i can see on past stats.

Refunds are rare, I've sent seen shots in before and always the same answer, Normal human behaviour...

Clickers can click away 2x then come back later and do the same all day long, google does nothing about it.

last week i was charged for 3 clicks, not a lot this time, but all the same 2 clicks within 1 minute then back again 27 mins later for another that probably took my ad of the page.

/?gclid=CIOEwtLC28sCFbQV0wodIZMHjQ www.google.co.uk page SL: 1535 / PS: 1970 03-25-16 10:27 am
/?gclid=CMyr3-6828sCFSQW0wodBAkGYQ www.google.co.uk page SL: 1484 / PS: 1819 03-25-16 10:01 am
/?gclid=CPCeyc-828sCFVIYGwodb3kMnw www.google.co.uk page SL: 1705 / PS: 2588 03-25-16 10:00 am

The worst case I've had was from August till September when i never monitored visits and same ip was clicking away every week of those months ,same term used in all of them. out of all the tools google provide they should have an Ip League of visits id guess it would be easy to add, but again it lets the customer decide who to block too easy...

m

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Julia

i sent a reply but it never showed so i posted one again and again it never showed??

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@Michael Bauser wrote:

@Julia_Muller wrote:

Actually, they charge for up to 2 clicks per ad-instance. https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375444?hl=en#impressions

I didn't know, @Michael Bauser. Thanks for the link! Last I inquired with Google it was ONE click per.

Julia Muller,
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

@Martin G wrote:
Hi Julia

i sent a reply but it never showed so i posted one again and again it never showed??

@Not sure what happened there @Martin G. I've seen posting delays in the community in the past few days.

Julia Muller,