AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How do I use top vs. side reporting for bidding ?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I just discovered top vs side reporting and I wanted to look at my data and how I can use it for bidding up indivigual keywords. If my keyword is performing well in top position then why do I have side data at all? 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dustin_S
September 2015

Re: How do I use top vs. side reporting for bidding ?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Dustin,

I think, due to bottom placements now, you're now looking at 'Top vs. Other' reporting.

Your keywords may/will perform differently for varying search queries and on the selected networks where your ads are displayed (search vs search partners for instance).  So you may not have just top or just other data, generally, there is a combination...unless of course your ad placements are always at the top, or always fall into the other category.  

This is one way you can automated rules.  If position drops below 3, then raise bids...

These reports can be used for a number of reasons...Here's one basic way to make use of them.  If you notice a certain keyword has a low avg position and you see similar stats in the 'Top vs. Other' reports (more other impressions than top for instance, then you can address the potential optimization for that keyword, working on QS or adjusting bids.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dustin_S
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Dustin,

I think, due to bottom placements now, you're now looking at 'Top vs. Other' reporting.

Your keywords may/will perform differently for varying search queries and on the selected networks where your ads are displayed (search vs search partners for instance).  So you may not have just top or just other data, generally, there is a combination...unless of course your ad placements are always at the top, or always fall into the other category.  

This is one way you can automated rules.  If position drops below 3, then raise bids...

These reports can be used for a number of reasons...Here's one basic way to make use of them.  If you notice a certain keyword has a low avg position and you see similar stats in the 'Top vs. Other' reports (more other impressions than top for instance, then you can address the potential optimization for that keyword, working on QS or adjusting bids.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Tom for the great insight. Yes, it is now called 'Top vs. Other' since G are displaying ads at the bottom of results sometimes as well. 

Great tip on automating this when you have a profitable phase in a top slot.