AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How do I get notified when a CPC conversion occurs?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I would like to be notified, either via analytics or adwords, when a conversion occurs which source was CPC. I am currently tracking conversions via Analytics.

How would I go about setting this up? A goal?

Re: How do I get notified when a CPC conversion occurs?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey EddieB,

There are two ways to track conversions.

1.) Setup Conversion Tracking directly in AdWords

2.) Setup Goal Tracking in Google Analytics and migrate the data with your AdWords Account

Once these are setup, you can setup an 'Automated Rule' to send you an email when a conversion occurs.

Thanks,

BI

thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm tracking with Analytics and I have goals setup there.

For the rule, I set it to use data from the previous day and run everyday at 9AM.

Send email for campaigns
Requirements: Conversions (1-per-click) >= 1
All enabled campaigns

Is this the type of rule you had in mind?

Re: thanks

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Yes, that's what I had in mind. Does this solution work for you?

Thanks,

BI

Re: thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I will keep an eye on it and report back. Thanks!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Were you able to get this work?

I setup a daily rule that said if conversions >0 using the previous day's data, then to send me an email.

A problem occurred to me. If I am not mistaken, conversions are reported as being on the day the ad was clicked, and not on the day the conversion happened.

Therefore my rule as setup may miss conversions, because it was only using previous day's data, but on the previous day, someone who clicked the ad in the previous week, may convert, and I would not get notice because the conversion would be in the previous week.

Therefore I change the rule to use the last 90 days of data, which is what the conversion window is set to.

Now the problem is one conversion will trigger the rule for up to 90 days, because the rule of if conversions are greater then 0 is going to be true for up to 90 days on one conversion.

What I am looking for is a way to get notified only when there is a new conversion, whenever that conversion was recorded in the 90 day window.

Make sense? Anyone find a solution?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey NormMiller,

The best way to do this would be using an adwords script. What you would do on the script is gather all data for your conversion window and store this on a google sheet. You then get the script to extract all data for the current conversion window and compare it to the stored data from the previous instance of the script running and notify you if the conversions are different. The script would then replace the stored data.

Does this make sense?

Ideally you will want to compare each day to the same date as just comparing 90 period to 90 day period will run into problems.

So in essence the script will gather data for the previous 90 days and compare this to the data on the sheet day x vs day x, and email you a list of all days that received additional conversions. The script would then replace the data on the sheet with the new data so that when the script runs again you would not be sent duplicate emails.

Hope this helps, felt a little weird trying to explain my thoughts.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I only just recently started to look at scripting. I couldn't even get the sample scripts to work Smiley Happy

I was hoping there would be a more simple solution, but your suggestion does make sense. I will see if I can get one of our programmers to help me with the scripting.

I think this kind of notification would be a great improvement to adwords though. Conversions mean the ads are working, and I would think Google would want us to know as soon as a conversion happens, if we wanted that.

Thanks for taking the time to offer a solution!

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Happy to help NormMiller.

I will keep an eye out for more people needing this and if so I will try and set some time aside and perhaps look into writing the script myself. Does seem like a useful script, never thought of having one do this though.

Good luck