AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How do I append the search term to end of URL in keywords sections for search campaign?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've a search campaign where users search using "search term" on Play Store and get to see my ad.

Now, I want to append the search term to the URL when user clicks on my ad. How do I do that?

I want to add <MY_URL>&referrer=<search_term>

This referrer will help me understand how my keywords affect app usage. Can someone please help?

Thank you in advance Smiley Happy

2 Expert replyverified_user

How do I append the search term to end of URL in keywords sections for search campaign?

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Sameer, 

Thanks for reaching out. 

You can track the keywords and search terms using the option below: 

1) You can use ValueTrack parameters to track the keywords that triggered your ads. 

ValueTrack parameters are used to track information about the source of an ad click. By adding these parameters to your ads and campaigns, you can learn if people who clicked on your ads came from mobile devices, where they were located when they clicked your ads, and much more.

This article explains the steps you’ll need to follow to add ValueTrack parameters in “URL options.” 

2) You can use the Search terms report in the AdWords interface to see how your ads performed when triggered by actual searches within the Search Network.

3) If you want to see the search terms, you can use the Search Queries report to see the actual search queries that resulted in a display of your AdWords ads if you have Google Analytics linked.

Re: How do I append the search term to end of URL in keywords sections for search campaign?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Tina, I really appreciate you took out time to reply. Thanks.

I did checkout keyword level ValueTrack paramter. Here's what I did, but no success:
1. In the keywords section changed the final URL for a keyword and added &referrer=keyword. However, this did not help
2. I went to "Ads" section and modified the final url to include &referrer={keyword}. This did not help as well.

Could you please tell me where did I go wrong?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Check out this link :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375447

you're probably missing the {lpurl}

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi stickback, your answer works for tracking template, but I don't have a tracking template.

Instead I want the final URL for each keyword to be appended with {keyword}.

Any way to sort this out?

Thanks in advance,